Toxicitiosos

Help Support CattleToday:

My dad use to buy good Gelbvieh bulls over there years ago. Broken fork or something like that. Whatever happened to that outfit? We bought some good bulls at Valhalla too. They were good.

Shadscale":8vw3zy8f said:
My dad use to buy good Gelbvieh bulls over there years ago. Broken fork or something like that. Whatever happened to that outfit? We bought some good bulls at Valhalla too. They were good.

I am not sure. The only true GV breeder left in the Valley now is Bob Burton from Del Norte. His outfit is called Indianhead Gelbvieh and he raises a lot of nice red bulls.

I went away from the Gelbvieh. But still have some nice influence from them. Good cattle.

Shadscale":11eiwvj1 said:
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to learn it is referred to by different names. I hope they will get it under control. The owner just doesn't want to do anything because he can't sell them as natural. I believe I'd rather have live calves come weaning time. Natural of not.

Seems that most people can only think of drugs as a way to control disease. I know drugs are fun, but they are the least effective means of controlling this.

If we are talking about coccidiosis, natural means of control are most effective. You seem to be focused on drug therapy, but once an animal is showing signs of illness (diarrhea, etc) it is too late to treat the coccidiosis. Drugs are only good for secondary bacterial infection in severe cases. Corid is effective for prevention for other animals that are not yet showing signs of illness, but it is too late in the life cycle of the parasite for it to help those already sick.

The sick animals are passing thousands of the organism out in their feces, so wherever the feces ends up is going to be contaminated. In addition, the organism survives best in moist areas. Then it needs to be ingested to cause other animals to become ill.

So someone needs to find these moist areas with crap and see how they are getting it back into their mouths. For example, I once fed hay on wet ground after the spring thaw and got a lot of coccidiosis cases. And if cows are laying in contaminated corrals, and calves then nurse on the cows dirty udders, or lick dirty hides, that's another way to get it. Need to get animals out on dry and clean ground - spread them out.

I mean, if daycare centers let kids crap all over and then had them eating off the floor, and then they just routinely used drug therapy to get the diarrhea under control, we would consider them nuts.

Good point. We are on a pasture rotation grazing system. The first pasture is not as big as our second pasture and only a few watering areas. I've noticed that 90% of the death loss is in this first pasture. Once in the bigger pasture it seems to subside. Probably like you say a better scatter on the cattle.

If we are talking about coccidiosis, natural means of control are most effective. You seem to be focused on drug therapy, but once an animal is showing signs of illness (diarrhea, etc) it is too late to treat the coccidiosis. Drugs are only good for secondary bacterial infection in severe cases. Corid is effective for prevention for other animals that are not yet showing signs of illness, but it is too late in the life cycle of the parasite for it to help those already sick.

The sick animals are passing thousands of the organism out in their feces, so wherever the feces ends up is going to be contaminated. In addition, the organism survives best in moist areas. Then it needs to be ingested to cause other animals to become ill.

So someone needs to find these moist areas with crap and see how they are getting it back into their mouths. For example, I once fed hay on wet ground after the spring thaw and got a lot of coccidiosis cases. And if cows are laying in contaminated corrals, and calves then nurse on the cows dirty udders, or lick dirty hides, that's another way to get it. Need to get animals out on dry and clean ground - spread them out.

I mean, if daycare centers let kids crap all over and then had them eating off the floor, and then they just routinely used drug therapy to get the diarrhea under control, we would consider them nuts.[/quote]

Not disagreeing with your advice on prevention but Corrid does stop an outbreak:

Nearly all beef and dairy cattle calves are exposed to coccidia - but many don't show full-blown clinical coccidiosis (bloody scours). Either way, it's good to know that CORID® (amprolium) can prevent costly coccidial infection in exposed cattle and treat clinical outbreaks when they do occur.

CORID is easy to use as a drench or mixed in the drinking water, and its liquid formulation ensures the active ingredient will reach the intestine, even in animals with reduced feed intake and low GI motility. By stopping coccidia in the small intestine, CORID prevents more damaging coccidiosis in the large intestine (view the interactive "Coccidia Lifecycle" for more details).

3waycross":tg9pl8sr said:
Not disagreeing with your advice on prevention but Corrid does stop an outbreak:

Nearly all beef and dairy cattle calves are exposed to coccidia - but many don't show full-blown clinical coccidiosis (bloody scours). Either way, it's good to know that CORID® (amprolium) can prevent costly coccidial infection in exposed cattle and treat clinical outbreaks when they do occur.

CORID is easy to use as a drench or mixed in the drinking water, and its liquid formulation ensures the active ingredient will reach the intestine, even in animals with reduced feed intake and low GI motility. By stopping coccidia in the small intestine, CORID prevents more damaging coccidiosis in the large intestine (view the interactive "Coccidia Lifecycle" for more details).

Corid IS a preventive as is Rumensin (Monensin) mixed into grain rations. Other products like Bovatec and Deccox or controls and treatments for existing conditions.

Latest posts