Tough Spring on Northern Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
Is it just me or does this seem to be a tough spring for northern cattle?

The pastures are just not growing very fast. Here it is May 1st and I am still feeding hay! I have divided the winter sacrifice pasture with an electric wire to let the rest of the grass get a start. The grass on this north facing slope is only about 3" tall on average.

Soil temps are still low and not much warmth here in W WI. Even the cattle are looking like they really want something green to eat but it will be at least another week or 10 days before the grass gets to the 8" range to start rotational grazing.

Thunderstorms coming. Snow north and west yet.

Sure hope the grass takes off when it does finally warm up with some sun.

The price of retail beef just has to go up with these kinds of conditions, or so it seems to me.

Anyone else seeing extremely slow start to pasture growth? I just don't want to let them on it yet and cut production all the rest of the year.

SRBeef":22nmb6t5 said:

The pastures are just not growing very fast. Here it is May 1st and I am still feeding hay! I have divided the winter sacrifice pasture with an electric wire to let the rest of the grass get a start. The grass on this north facing slope is only about 3" tall on average.

Soil temps are still low and not much warmth here in W WI. Even the cattle are looking like they really want something green to eat but it will be at least another week or 10 days before the grass gets to the 8" range to start rotational grazing.

The price of retail beef just has to go up with these kinds of conditions, or so it seems to me.

Anyone else seeing extremely slow start to pasture growth? I just don't want to let them on it yet and cut production all the rest of the year.

No, it's not just you. I'm sitting here listening to the wind howl, freezing my buns off, and wondering how much snow I'm going to wake up to tomorrow morning. So far the alfalfa has gotten up to about 3-4" only to be bitten by a hard frost and, if the storm that is predicted materializes, it will be bitten again tomorrow night - and that's in one week! :roll: It's been a crazy winter, and an even crazier spring. It was 80 degrees here yesterday and the day before, and I don't think we got above 40 today. Gotta love it! :lol: :lol:

IN THE SOUTH (Central Texas) Cool season grasses are doing OK for the amount of rain we are getting and depending on the amount of fertilizer put out, but the bermuda is slow coming out. Night temps are still getting down into the 50's amd 60's. Cattle are bordering on the fat side. Stopped feeding hay and supplement 2 months ago. Didn't get the rain promised last weekend and the hay cutters are in full swing this week.

We've had 3 major blizzards in April. Got lots of moisture now :roll: No green up what so ever. Got another load of hay rolling in today. another 2500-2700 dollars. Am I still having fun. :banana: :banana:

I know what you mean. I am in Western Wisconsin, 40 miles from the Twin Cities, and I have enough hay til about End of may. Hopefully we get some good growing weather hear pretty soon. We havent been able to get anything planted yet either. But on the bright side, i am selling 1800-2000 pound round bales (wrapped in a bale bonnet) for $110 a bale.

Not meaning to steal this post, but is there any profit in cow/calf production, when hay is at $100 a large round bale? Has anyone calculated it out to see if there was any profit

Earlier this year i sold uncovered hay for $95 a bale and now i am selling covered bales for $110, so thats where i got the $100 a large round bale figure from.

This is the coolest spring I can remember in a long time. I like the temp but I really do need for the heat to kick in and get the grasses growing.

Latest posts