Tornado up North

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
9:AM today. I'm at the computer watching a storm cell develope on radar, going back and forth from the cattle boards. I'm thinking "this one is going to hit us, get the hard rain we haven't seen for a couple years"
9:15 power goes off. Might as well head to the ranch. About a mile out, driving East, I get a call. BL on the phone. She asks "where are you?" I'm going East on 34 a mile or so from home. BL says, A tornado has touched down 3 1/2 miles SE of town and going to the NE. Thats me :!: I'm directly in the path:eek: So what do I do :? I pull over and check thinks out. It's starting to rain hard, I mean REAL hard. I hear this roar to the North, to dark and hard a rain to see much so I drive to the South and away.
Checked it out when things settled down. Lots of damage. The tornado's mostly hit wooded areas, flattening things down pretty good. Some houses totally destroyed. Tornadoes seemed to drop to the ground for a couple hundred yards, then little damage for a half mile or so, then strike again. I've heard that as many as 14 tornadoes.
This is not exactly tornado ally. We have straight line winds, blizzards :roll: OH yeah :!: But I'm purty sure these are the first for real tornadoes documented in this county.
Our house got jumped over, not even a branch fell. Less then 1/4 mile away the woods is torn up. We got 3 inches of hard rain at the ranch.

I bet a bunch of body parts drew up tight when you heard it was coming toward you! Glad ya'll are unscathed. We had some tornadoes here last year. They are scary. The aftermath is freaky too. Washing machines and goats hung up in the trees is surreal to say the least.

MNMT--Glad BL called you right? Wouldn't want to be in a tornado let alone be in a vehicle in a tornado. Things can be replaced, not so with people. Hope everything gets back to normal for you. JLP

Same here Mnmt.
Warnings all around us, and a severe warning of a tornado touching down 50 miles away causing major damage ,but heading the "right" way.. What the h$ll ?? We might get snow tonight and tornadoes are touching down.???????

I don't know but I think someone p!ssed off mother nature real bad...???

I went for a run tonight and had to wear a toque and mittens.. :roll: it's June .. :?

Glad you are alright ,hope it wasn't heading to Misty or Angie.. :help:

Hope all you cows and babies made it through OK..

Yeah all is fine, hardly a good breeze most places. Not even a tree down on the fences. When I stopped the truck for a look see, I was real close, but South so I was safe. Sure could hear the thing, wish I could have seen it. Those things sure can tear things up in a hurry.

I mean all is fine for me. There are folks that lost their homes.

Glad it missed you mnmt.
Been one crazy year.
Was going to a branding yesterday morning. Saw a storm crossing the mountains in front of me. I was not paying too much attention since I was headed east away from it.
Got to my last turn and looked once more at this cell and had to do a double take. There was a funnel coming out of that cloud. Grabbed my digatal camera, which I found out takes really crappy pictures at that distance, and snapped a few pics. Downloaded the pics this morning onto my Photo Shop and you can see a definate funnel. Weather service asked me if I could see any rotation. Nope too far away. They couldn't classify it as a true tornado since I couldn't see any rotation.
Local weatherman thought it was a tornado though.

hillsdown":168hl9gc said:
Glad you are alright ,hope it wasn't heading to Misty or Angie.. :help:
Nah ~ we have had bad weather but not severe weather.

I am kinda leery of tornados now ~ last time we had a tornado, a farm house landed on my sister and some chick from KS stole her slippers before I could get there...... :help:

mnmt ~ Glad you are OK.
Is a very good thing the Boss likes you some ~ yes?

I am kinda leery of tornados now ~ last time we had a tornado, a farm house landed on my sister and some chick from KS stole her slippers before I could get there......

Happens all too often. Same thing happened to my X's sister a few years ago and she has been ill ever since.

Nasty late afternoon here too. Had them touch down to the west and east of me, but we are okay here. Just mud and limbs to clean up....

Maybe it is a regional thing but I've heard a few times

"What's the matter with you? Did someone drop a house on your sister?"

No more regional the The Wizard Of Oz. Remember? Dorthys' house falls on the sister of the Wicked Witch?? Dorthy takes the ruby slippers off of the dead witches' feet?

angie":21vilg08 said:
No more regional the The Wizard Of Oz. Remember? Dorthys' house falls on the sister of the Wicked Witch?? Dorthy takes the ruby slippers off of the dead witches' feet?

You sure seem to be up on all of the witch lore!

This is at about 10 miles to the to the North. The tornado was on the ground at this point doing extensive damage. The funnel is down on the lower right side of the cloud. This was a magnificent cloud. Photo doesn't do justice.

P1010026-2.jpg

perda04":23g0m3l2 said:
Maybe it is a regional thing but I've heard a few times

"What's the matter with you? Did someone drop a house on your sister?"
:lol2:Haven't heard that before but I'm sure gonna start using it.

mnmt ~ Glad you are OK.
Is a very good thing the Boss likes you some ~ yes?

Yes, BL could have eliminated a lot of Her problems and work load. All She would have had to do was YELL :!: "DRIVE NORTH DRIVE NORTH :!: :!: " I woulda done it. :cowboy: :help:

angie":br6m53yw said:

I remember the movie. The cut over from b/w to color and made big news. Also if you turn off the sound of the movie and start "Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon" when the lion roars at the start, it stays in sync with the movie.

so glad BL called an told you bout the twisters.other wise you might of had to ride it out in the truck.so glad that your ok.an nothing was damaged at the ranch.i truelly do feel for the people that lost their homes there.

dun":1jqxggrv said:
angie":1jqxggrv said:
Maybe what you say is so.
Lucky you I don't know so much about gargoyles, would give you something to think about. :nod:

angie":1cy7rd5y said:
dun":1cy7rd5y said:
angie":1cy7rd5y said:
Maybe what you say is so.
Lucky you I don't know so much about gargoyles, would give you something to think about. :nod:

BL thinks we need one carved into that big rock at the corner of the pasture, we need all the help we can get. :welcome:

perda04":20h890l7 said:
[I remember the movie. The cut over from b/w to color and made big news. Also if you turn off the sound of the movie and start "Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon" when the lion roars at the start, it stays in sync with the movie.
I had heard that but didn;t know if it was true or not.
Whats up with the guy hanging himself in the forest??
Anybody know?

Latest posts