Too old to breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

SilverCharm

Reaction score
My mare is almost 15 years old and has never been breed before. She is in good health but is she too old because she hasn't had a foal before?

Personally, I wouldn't have her bred. Way too many things that could go wrong. On one hand she may hold up fine, while on the other she may not. I'd enjoy the time you have left with her and buy a colt, if that's what you're looking for.JMO.

SilverCharm":13534jqn said:
My mare is almost 15 years old and has never been breed before. She is in good health but is she too old because she hasn't had a foal before?
if you breed her need too have a vet open her first before you breed

warpaint":sja8ptlu said:
Personally, I wouldn't have her bred. Way too many things that could go wrong. On one hand she may hold up fine, while on the other she may not. I'd enjoy the time you have left with her and buy a colt, if that's what you're looking for.JMO.

I have to agree, while 15 isn't too old for a horse, it may be too old for a maiden mare. You could have a good vet check her out and tell you what they think. But by the time you spend all the money to get the foal to a 2 yr old you can problably by a better horse for less money, I say this not knowing how your mare is bred (sorry).

Alan

As mares get older, it becomes harder for them to catch when bred. Since she's a maiden, she might not take at all. If you do decide to breed her, have a vet come and take a look to see if everything is clean and bacteria free. Sometimes older horses' vulva will tilt up letting in bacteria and other yucky stuff. It can also be harder to maintain her condition. If she's in good condition and the vet gives the go ahead then you could try. Good luck.

Latest posts