Too Old To Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Just a P.S. to the last post, It sounds like you did the mare a huge favor by getting her away from her previous owner. My hats off to you.

Alan

I agree with Allan. A deal is a deal and when you loaded her up on the truck, you agreed to the terms. I would not try to crawfish out of the deal. That said, if I did not promise a quality sire, he would not be getting a foal that cost me a $300 stud fee. Find somebody with a mediocre grade stud, get her settled in the pasture and send the grade foal back to the guy as early as it can be safely weaned. If he did not take care of the mama, he is not going to take care of the foal either so I don't think it is going to matter either way. That way you can take her for a test run to see if she can breed, foal, and raise a foal without having too much money in her. If an ugly little mule will satisfy the terms of your deal, donkey studs usually only bring $100 to $160 at the stockyard and you can rerun him through when the deal is done and get most of your money back (or if selling him to the butchers is too traumatic geld him).

Well, at the risking of making myself look like a bigger fool than I've already exposed myself to be, here's the rest of the story. Yes, the mare is a registered quarterhorse and I haven't seen the papers but he told me he'd give me the papers on her at the time he picked up the foal, whatever it turns out to be. I had to find a stud horse and he had to approve the choice before I picked up the mare. The stud is registered and of a good line. Of course, he made her out to be a jewel of a horse and maybe she was back in her days, but she's not much to look at anymore. I've ridden her a couple of times and she does perk right up when you get on her, but I'd actually be embarrassed to be seen on her in public.

I couldn't bring myself to lie my way out of it if I wanted to, just wasn't brought up that way.

Egads, that deal is worse than I thought!! The sinister part of me would be tempted to just breed her and sell/raise the foals without papers (they really don't add value to grade horses anyway); but since he has the papers, he could come back in the future with his papers and accuse you of being a horse thief. I guess you are just going to have to pay him the foal that he wants.

Egads, that deal is worse than I thought!!
Thanks, your reaction made me laugh! Even though the situation is not really funny! Sometimes I step in piles of BS bigger than I am but, nothing is ever as bad as it seems. Who knows the guy I got the horse from is an older man, maybe by the time I have the mare bred and have the foal old enough to ween, he'll have kicked the bucket and I won't have to turn the foal over to him. I know that's cold! I don't really mean it, but I'll just have to go through with it and see how it all turns out.

I have learned a valuable lesson. Be weary of East Texans. ;-) Just kiddin'!

A6gal":2fvh4ki3 said:
In lue of the number of East Texans on CT, you might ought to hope that none of then read the horse boards!!! :lol: :lol:

Come on, I said I was only kiddin'. Just trying to make light of the bad situation that I got myself in. I do know some really good east Texas folks.

certherfbeef":3i3ezo37 said:
A6gal":3i3ezo37 said:
In lue of the number of East Texans on CT, you might ought to hope that none of then read the horse boards!!! :lol: :lol:

Forget the east Texans, beware of sly old men. I would not breed that horse, or at least so that he knows about it, your assuming he has papers on her... who knows. At this point I would forget about doing what's right and protect yourself and your current investment in the horse. You could call him and ask for the papers for breeding purposes, AQHA will charge you more to reg the foal if it's not done in a certain time period. That gives you a oppurtunity to see exactly what his plan is. If he refuses to give up the papers you will probably never be able to get them later. Sounds to me like he's playing around a bit... Or maybe I'm wrong, just don't understand not giving you papers up front when you made the deal. I also assume you have nothing in writing?

Alan

Alan,

beware of sly old men

You hit the nail on the head! Although I know a lot of real good old men folk, too! Probably why I trusted this one without asking the questions I should have.

I also assume you have nothing in writing?

You assume right.

But, what happened to the "a deal is a deal sentiment?" Does it still hold true when there's the slight scent of skunk in the air?

well from what you have said it doesn't sound like he is being fair with you, you can't reg a foal out of the mare without papers in your name, do you want to spend money on a foal to give him without papers. If he has ever bred a QH he knows this. That's what happened to fair is fair, do you think he is being fair to you?

JMO
Alan

All joking aside, I'm sure he knows he's getting a very good deal for nothing. He probably couldn't get $100 for that mare at auction and now he doesn't have to worry about feeding her, having her hooves trimmed, vet bills (of course she looked like he didn't worry about those things before) and he'll be getting a registered colt of at least some value.

He was supposed to take her to the vet to get her coggins before I got there, but when I arrived he apologized for not having the time to get it done. He knew two weeks in advance of me going to get her.

Anyway what's done is done. I've come to the decision to call him and tell him to come and get her. I really don't think he will though, like I said it'd cost more in gas to make the trip than she's worth. I would really hate to send her back just because I can't stand to see an animal not taken care of.

A6gal":3f7zq719 said:
Alacowman,

I drove so far to pick her up and then seeing her I should have turned right back around and gone back home without her, but I didn't. Boy, I didn't think this one out, did I! Then, I'll probably be too attached to let him take the foal.

For what it's worth, I think you did great! To be in that bad of shape, the mare was obviously not being taken care of properly. That problem has been rectified now that she is in your care. As far as 'a deal being a deal' is concerned, he lied to you, so as far as I'm concerned, the 'deal' has been negated. Do what you think is right, just take pictures so you can back up your argument and position.

P.S. While I don't know how far you are from Houston, you might also consider calling the Houston ASPCA, explaining the situation to them, forwarding pictures of the mare and seeing what they say.

msscamp":32w1npvq said:
P.S. While I don't know how far you are from Houston, you might also consider calling the Houston ASPCA, explaining the situation to them, forwarding pictures of the mare and seeing what they say.

Warning:
This is one of the tricks Dog People use to try to: - - Break Their Word

Reading your Poat I have gained a resect of you - I'd hope/ "Know" you will not Low Yourself to Dog Breeder Bottom of the Bucket Tricks.

This is not the Time or Place to play that card - - you MIGHT have used it when you first saw the Mare.
But to use it now…

If you return the mare - You might want to Check on her at some later time… Then Play this card if "she" needs it.

Ideas:

Get a Photo Copy of Reg. Papers

Read it carefully making sure His Name is on the papers and match them with the Mare

Write and sign a Contract with him (And file it with the Breed Assoc.)*

Ask the Owner of the Stud to Guarantee A Live Foal (I have Gotten and Given this)

There is some other good advice here

* At one time (years ago) the AQHA would let you File these with them to Guarantee you got your papers. Check it out - find out if they still… Also get any paper work and Instructions for doing so.

This is a great idea. Thanks, I'm sure he couldn't argue with giving me a "copy" of the registration papers if he has them and I guess it's never too late to write up a contract. I will try to get in touch with him this evening.

I agree it's too late to call the ASPCA. And I certainly would never do this to someone just to break a deal. However, if I would have lived next door to this man and had seen that horse on a daily basis in the condition she was in, I probably would have called them, but more likely I'd have just been throwing feed and hay over the fence to her.

The real reason I started this post was just the fact that I was concerned about her being too old to breed again, and from what I've read, she's probably not too old, yet. I will have the vet check her out before I do get her bred, if he will agree to give me a "copy" of her papers and sign some kind of agreement.

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

A6gal":1cflfw72 said:

This is a great idea. Thanks, I'm sure he couldn't argue with giving me a "copy" of the registration papers if he has them and I guess it's never too late to write up a contract. I will try to get in touch with him this evening.

No papers...no deal

Old Dog/New Tricks":3ot9i9qf said:
msscamp":3ot9i9qf said:

Warning:

Reading your Poat I have gained a resect of you - I'd hope/ "Know" you will not Low Yourself to Dog Breeder Bottom of the Bucket Tricks.

This is not the Time or Place to play that card - - you MIGHT have used it when you first saw the Mare.
But to use it now…

If you return the mare - You might want to Check on her at some later time… Then Play this card if "she" needs it.

What on earth are you talking about? I'm totally lost. :???: :?

Just a quick update.

I've tried a couple of times to contact Peaches' (the mares) previous owner for copies of registration paper, but haven't been able to talk with him yet.

In the mean time, I received a call from the owner of the stud and he said somone had made a very generous offer for him and he sold him! The new owner won't pick him up till the end of August so I needed to get Peaches over there pronto if I was going to breed her.

So, taking into consideration the posts that said she shouldn't be too old to breed and the fact that she is coming along well as far as weight gain, Peaches is now with the stud. Hopefully, all will go well and I will be posting a picture of the foal in about 11 months.

A6gal":1sp424kn said:
Just a quick update.

I've tried a couple of times to contact Peaches' (the mares) previous owner for copies of registration paper, but haven't been able to talk with him yet.

In the mean time, I received a call from the owner of the stud and he said somone had made a very generous offer for him and he sold him! The new owner won't pick him up till the end of August so I needed to get Peaches over there pronto if I was going to breed her.

So, taking into consideration the posts that said she shouldn't be too old to breed and the fact that she is coming along well as far as weight gain, Peaches is now with the stud. Hopefully, all will go well and I will be posting a picture of the foal in about 11 months.

Well good luck! I hope you didn't just add to your problems... do you have papers on the mare didn't see a clear answer posted to that question, but I would guess not.

Alan

Latest posts