Tonutti Tedder

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Got one of those four star Tonutti tedders and I snapped three arms off today right at the outer bolt. Are these things not made for less than perfectly smooth ground or what??

If your cutt'in your hay with about 6" left, your Tedder won't need to scratch the ground. The grass stubble holds the cutting up enough. Sounds like you are runn'in your tedder into the ground. Remember, it's a tool to fluff your hay. It doesn't need to get every single stem.

Most tedders are light weight and flimsy contraptions. Something not mentioned is their tendency to need frequent resetting. I've owened two, and they can fall out of adjustment. So stop and check every hour or so.
My current tedder is a cheap italian brand, but it is so much better than the one I had before. That first one shed a lot of arms at a price per each I have mercifully forgotten. Teeth were overpriced too.
I'm starting year 3 with the italian. I'll probably look to trade for another, if cattle prices don't tank.

Could you be spinning it too fast or moving too fast? Anything over 5 mph and we have problems. Ours, when you think you have it adjusted it isn't. When in motion it tilts the front closer to the ground then when it's sitting still. I made a bushing for betwween the drawbar and the tedder tongue because there was so much slop. Haven't had any problems since. Ours is a cheap italian one too.

I have some cheap Italian made tedder and have used it for years and never broke one. Then again I only use it on Bahia and Coastal.

I adjust mine til the tines are just above the toe of my boot, you can tell if it's leaving anything. Also stuck a coil spring in the hitch below the drawbar to make it quit jumping - you need some play in there for hills, dips.

cfpinz

Latest posts