Tomato Varieties

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
We finally got city water in August so we're not dependent on the salt water producing well. Looking forward to putting in a garden now that we can water it. What type of tomatoes do y'all recommend? I like Manalucies, Beefmasters, and Beefsteaks. Any other suggestions? (Now I'm starving for a 'mater sandwich!) :D

norriscathy":1pyg72l1 said:
Try some grape tomatoes. We actually like them a little better than sweet 100's.
I have heard that. May plant a few of them this year.

Jet Stars are good. And if you like the yellow Tomatoes, go with Jubilee's. The Bradley's used to be good, but i think the stock has been over-produced.German Queen are also pretty good.

ponderosa pink's are my new favorite now..lady down the road ask me to plant them for her...wow are they good...didnt want to give them up

I like Better Boys for plain eat off the vien. Has anyone tried those white and yellow tomatoes. Husky Gold, Lemon Boy hybrids and White Beauty?

Scotty

la4angus":2s4mg6nd said:
norriscathy":2s4mg6nd said:
Try some grape tomatoes. We actually like them a little better than sweet 100's.
I have heard that. May plant a few of them this year.

Plant only 1, you'll have so many you'll be really sick of 'em ;-)

Back when i was in high school, i'd have a garden each summer with about 500 tomato plants. The sweetest tasting tomato out there imo is "Sungold".. it's a golden cherry tomato from England. A good old-timer variety is "Argentine", but it's next to impossible to find in the major seed catalogs.

I've had good luck with Better boy, Celebrity and Early Girl. They are all moderate sized and quite meaty. I like the early girls best because I get maters about 2 weeks before everybody else. Funny how fresh tomatoes go good with darn near every meal. :D

J. T.":2x9jvgcq said:
We finally got city water in August so we're not dependent on the salt water producing well. Looking forward to putting in a garden now that we can water it. What type of tomatoes do y'all recommend? I like Manalucies, Beefmasters, and Beefsteaks. Any other suggestions? (Now I'm starving for a 'mater sandwich!) :D
I grow Sungold's here in England and they are so sweet straight of the vine. and the Jersey variety are good to. :heart: them

Mountain Fresh is our favorite , Mountain Spring is an earlier version but doesn;t quite get the size. both are very good eating . Grown on cages Mountain Fresh always grades out good with few pickouts and a high percentage of large and extra large. Our customers really like them and keep coming back for more.

I love Champion for garden snacking. They're larger than the cherry varieties but only get about 5 or 6 ounces. Two good bites and grab another! Sungold has been our most consistent producer year in and year out.

WagaAgeyv":3qm7551y said:
All the tomatoes listed are great, but if you want a more meat less seed tomatoe try a Roma. They can well amd make great salsa.

They do can well, but they are much smaller and it takes sooooo much longer to peel them when you make salsa. Or at least that's been my experience.

Shoot naw, they are the easiest. I just cut the heads off, poke 3 or 4 holes at different places dip for 1 min or less depends on when they start to wrinkle just a touch and squeeze and they usually pop right out. I love to can with them because they go straight into the jar no mess no worry and because they are meaty hardly any air bubbles to worry with. :lol:

ive always lpanted early girl and beefsteak.last year our feed store had some called florda not"florida" i planted them as well.they grew faster than the early girl and the beefsteak.they produced more and were really great .i plan to plant them again this year

If you like a good old fashion strong flavored tomato get homestead or rutgers. They don't make a really big tomato but the taste is great. They produce for a longer period too. Seems like some of the new varieties have lost the taste.

WagaAgeyv":olz1y2g2 said:
Shoot naw, they are the easiest. I just cut the heads off, poke 3 or 4 holes at different places dip for 1 min or less depends on when they start to wrinkle just a touch and squeeze and they usually pop right out. I love to can with them because they go straight into the jar no mess no worry and because they are meaty hardly any air bubbles to worry with. :lol:

Interesting, so you cut the stem out before you blanch them. I hadn't thought of doing it that way. I was always under the impression that if you cut some of the skin away before you boil, you loose some of the juice. I'll give your method a shot this yr. I love salsa!! I canned 32 pints and 8 quarts last summer. I also canned 12 qts and 4 half gallons of tomato juice plus 12 qts of homemade spaghetti sauce. I normally plant 12 plants, but last yr I thought my first 12 had all froze due to a late frost, so I waited a couple of weeks and was getting ready to plant 12 more and noticed that 5 of the original 12 were still alive. So I ended up with 17 plants. I was picking a five gallon bucket every evening. The people I work with loved me though because I gave them away.