Tomato Varieties

Help Support CattleToday:

I need to find time to do that again. It used to be a family affair. The kids do it for the 4-H fair entries. They would earn up to $200. They used to buy all their wants with the money. With me working a full time job it is difficult. I wish you lots of luck. If you don't blanch them to long they won't loose any juice. Have you tried the weed method I put on here? Its under How to keep out Weeds and Wildlife.

WagaAgeyv":2spqkk47 said:
I need to find time to do that again. It used to be a family affair. The kids do it for the 4-H fair entries. They would earn up to $200. They used to buy all their wants with the money. With me working a full time job it is difficult. I wish you lots of luck. If you don't blanch them to long they won't loose any juice. Have you tried the weed method I put on here? Its under How to keep out Weeds and Wildlife.

I leave enough space to till between the plants and then I pull the few that are still there, so weeds are pretty much a non-issue for me. I do remember reading your post and it seemed like it would work fine. My garden is only about 15x50 so it's not too time consuming to keep it clean.

I hope I can finish getting all my garden in this year. I worl in tourism so the majority of my events are in summer and I can't ever get anything accomplished. Not a bad thing, job security.
Just no farm or family time in summer. Good luck canning.

I planted "northern exposure" by seed through burpees several years ago...liked them so much i now have to order through the catalog, they don't have them on the shelf. it is very hot and humid here...so just because it say's they are for cooler/nothern climates does not mean it didn't perform here in southern Illinois. The tomato is a meaty-thick tomato and grows well in early spring through early fall, great tasting and a good canning tomato. I highly recommend it.

We used to plant a variety called "pink lady". It was a pink tomato that got pretty big,and tasted good. We used to save the seed from one year to the next.Unfortunately, my mother is gone,and we have lost the seed. :(

The sweetest tasting tomato out there imo is "Sungold".. it's a golden cherry tomato from England. [/quote said:
We use to grow the red equivalent of "Sungold". I believe it was called "Sun Cherry" ? I'm pretty sure this red version was discontinued as I have seen "Sungold" but not the "Sun Cherry". Does anyone know where I can find the red version of "Sungold" ?

Thanks !

I usually try to grow four varieties every year, a Better Boy type (this year Park's Beefy Boy), my old favorite Atkinson, Celebrity and the best tasting tomato of all time, Brandywine. The Brandywine and Beefy Boy I start from seed. The other two are available locally as plants.

Anybody ever raise these "long-keeper" type tomatoes ? I bought some from a guy once in December. He said at the end of the season just before first frost they would gather all tomatoes (green and red) and store them in the basement in the dark and they would keep for several months - very slowly ripening.
I gave these to my parents and they said they were some of the best they had ever eaten - personally i'm not much on the 'mater myself.

Better Boys are pretty god. I love going out to the garden in the morning, (I work out of my home) and eat the tomatoes right off the vine for breakfast. If there is one thing a person should grow that taste so much better out of the garden, its tomatoes. Ive bought some of the grape tomatoes from the store. Pretty tasty. I will try to grow a couple of plants this year. If properly taken care of, 4 large fruit variety and 2 small (cherry or grape) tomatoes plants will be enough for your family and about 10 others. I like to give tomatoes to friends and family that dont grow a garden. People really appreciate some good home-grown groceries.. If you have access to it, chicken manure makes great fertilizer. Mix with water and apply sparingly. Its very hot full strength, but works great in moderation.

anyone ever try the yellow grape type....there almost pear shaped
I grew them on accdent one year (mislabled plants) and havent been able to find them

We planted 6 sweet 100's last year. I won't do that again. 1 or two would have been plenty. Must have picked 200 of them little boogers a day. You could just about watch them ripen while you were picking. :lol: