Today's Squirrel Hunt

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Just got in out of the hardwood bottom's got 3 fat fox squirrel's with my old smoke pole.
Having fried squirrel for supper tonight life is good.
It is a blast hunting with a muzzleloading shotgun takes you back in time for a slower pace hunt.

Mmmm...fried squirrel sounds a lot better than hamburger helper... :lol2:
Going to be back up near 30 tomorrow might have to do some tree rat, or rabbit shooting myself.

I love being in the woods hunting. Any kind of hunting. But my best memories are squirrel hunting when my Dad and Granddad were both taking me out as young boy. It was best when we were all together. My first "real" gun was an H&R 20 gauge, youth model. Dad gave it to me for my 10th birthday, after he made me master hitting my mark with a 22. I can remember wondering why he didn't buy me a 22, but he later told me the 20 gauge would serve dual purpose as a slug gun for deer hunting :D . Boy was I proud of that gun. I still am proud of it and it has a special place my gun cabinet. It only took one season of deer hunting with that gun, and I saved my money and bought a 30-30 :lol2: . I never did kill a deer with that H&R 20, but my oldest son has. I put many squirrels on the supper table with it. Tree rat dumplins

CB I bet that's a blast shooting squirrels with a blackpowder gun!
I love shooting deer with a blackpowder rifle after pulling the trigger and waiting for the smoke to clear to see if you hit him.
You ever go hunting for squirrels and have a hard time seeing one after seeing a bunch while sitting in a deer stand?

after hunting season ends saturday I will be squirrel hunting all day the following saturday.. I have only killed 6 so far.. I am thinking about smoking one to see how that tastes

My 8 year old son has discovered the glory of squirrel hunting. We go about every Saturday and Sunday morning. I've never been much of a sportsman, but I really enjoy taking him. I've got a little 3 acre patch of woods really near my house. It's actually on my dad. I've got to wonder when he is going to kill them all. He has killed a few every weekend since the leaves dropped.

ousoonerfan22":olwgcdia said:
I love shooting deer with a blackpowder rifle after pulling the trigger and waiting for the smoke to clear to see if you hit him.
You ever go hunting for squirrels and have a hard time seeing one after seeing a bunch while sitting in a deer stand?

I have didn't have that problem when I had ole Rube you could limit out ever trip with her.
That little dog used to make me laugh so hard. Every now and then when I would miss with my smokepole she would look back at me like why did you not bring a real gun like a that pump 16 by the door.
This was my first trip today without my old hunting partner brought a tear to my eye.
If you see the squirrel run out the other side of the blue smoke you missed, if you hear the thud you got him.

This was Ole Rube
Ruby-1_zpsef7d83eb.jpg

I wondered what all that noise was I heard earlier today. Thought it was sonic booms or a big thunderstorm was coming out of the East.

skyhightree1":3c1a6mss said:
after hunting season ends saturday I will be squirrel hunting all day the following saturday.. I have only killed 6 so far.. I am thinking about smoking one to see how that tastes
We use to pile them up 4 deep on one of those little smokers that had the water pan inside of it. Baste them with melted butter with woestishire melted in it....mercy they came out great.

ousoonerfan22":13mrfcv1 said:

Here is a smoke pole like the one I used today don't see them much anymore.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =323882327

This is the one I like to deer hunt with.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =323159741

TexasBred":3omnja2f said:
skyhightree1":3omnja2f said:
We use to pile them up 4 deep on one of those little smokers that had the water pan inside of it. Baste them with melted butter with woestishire melted in it....mercy they came out great.

Thanks for the tip... I must try it.

Bigfoot":22cq1huu said:
My 8 year old son has discovered the glory of squirrel hunting. We go about every Saturday and Sunday morning. I've never been much of a sportsman, but I really enjoy taking him. I've got a little 3 acre patch of woods really near my house. It's actually on my dad. I've got to wonder when he is going to kill them all. He has killed a few every weekend since the leaves dropped.

I purposely try to whack as many grey squirrels as I can after every hunting season because while deer hunting it annoys me getting all excited like a deer is walking and see those lil boogers creeping through the woods. my friend and i killed 86 out of one spot thats 10 acres of hard woods at my favorite stand and it did absolutely nothing to dent the population the following year which was 2012 I think you will be safe with the kills your son has and continues to take.

Caustic Burno":8g7cz940 said:
Just got in out of the hardwood bottom's got 3 fat fox squirrel's with my old smoke pole.
It is a blast hunting with a muzzleloading shotgun takes you back in time for a slower pace hunt.

Squirrels - cannot stand them - could not imagine eating one

Rats with fuzzy tails

Got a whole bunch of them around our buildings right now

If you were here I would give you free rein to hunt them - there are probably about a hundred of them living within three hundred yards of the house and shop - big black and grey squirrels.

My best

Bez

ousoonerfan22":e9zjznvt said:
Nice guns CB do you experiment on what loads to use?

I shoot a standard 12 gauge load based on the original loadings.
That is an ounce and a eighth load over 85 grains of ff black.
Shoot one ounce over 70 grains.

snake67":qn49viko said:
Caustic Burno":qn49viko said:

Squirrels - cannot stand them - could not imagine eating one

Rats with fuzzy tails

Got a whole bunch of them around our buildings right now

If you were here I would give you free rein to hunt them - there are probably about a hundred of them living within three hundred yards of the house and shop - big black and grey squirrels.

My best

Bez

Fry them up with bisquit's and gravy make you slap your granny away from the table.

Have never tried smoking one, but I'll have to give it a whirl. I used to be pretty good with a slingshot, guess I better break it out. I figure it want be long before that's all will be able to use if Caustic's president has his way! :hide: