Todays disaster

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
So today it warmed up and I thought it would be a good day to pull my calves off cows and get them ready to sell. I fed in a corral made of 5 hot wires on one side every thing went fine all cows and calves went in except 1 and I pushed him into the
pen next to all cows. This is when everything went to he!! my new pup wanted to help and she was doing well until the 1 calf stuck his head through a steel panel and every one got a little excited and the calf tore the panel loose and took off through the herd with panel stuck on head my pup on his heels well the whole herd stampeded and tore down 100 yards of fence and broke 3 fence posts. Took me most of day to fix wires and there is no hope of putting in posts till spring thaw. Got all back in tonight hope everyone stays put so I can start this again tomorrow. :cboy:

Only a small break in the weather so have to get to it while a person can. I have to put all the CCIA tags in and they are just too hard when they are cold I still have to keep them on the truck heater even when the temp is -10c like today.

tamarack":2czkc5uu said:
Only a small break in the weather so have to get to it while a person can. I have to put all the CCIA tags in and they are just too hard when they are cold I still have to keep them on the truck heater even when the temp is -10c like today.

What CCIA tags are you using, the dangle ones ? I never have had a problem with the button ones no matter the weather unless my pin for the tagger is dull. I need to buy new ones again, I sure hope they haven't made them even poorer quality than they already are :mad:

I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow!!! Totally understand about taking advantage of some tolerable weather conditions.

The good news is your pup will make a really great stock dog in the future but right now she is still just a baby that is trying really hard :D

They did slightly change the design on them this year, they're a little thicker.. I put a standard tag behind the CCID button, and put it on with 1 pin.. I found it works very well. Just have to clip off the pin guard on the tag so it's totally flat. Haven't had one break or come out yet and it's been 6 years since we started doing it.

Good luck working them tomorrow..

Well everything went better today got them all sorted tied my pup to gate and left her to guard it. She did a good job nothing got by her. Got all calves sorted from cows and fed everyone.Sure is different just me and a dog working but I move slow and things are quiet never had to run or holler just a few at a time and the cows respond quietly was done in a couple hours. Then I drove my tractor 3 mi to my moms and fed her cows for her, she can do it but the arthritis was flaring up so it was easier for me to do it. Mom is pushing 75 and still has 30 black angus cows so we are trying to make up a pot load of calves to sell next week maybe if we can find a truck.

Latest posts