Tn workers reject union at VW plant.

Help Support CattleToday:

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) — Workers at a Volkswagen factory in Tennessee have voted against union representation, a devastating loss that derails the United Auto Workers union's effort to organize Southern factories.

The 712-626 vote released late Friday stunned many labor experts who expected a UAW win because Volkswagen tacitly endorsed the union and even allowed organizers into the Chattanooga factory to make sales pitches.

The UAW for decades has tried without success to organize a foreign-owned plant in a region that's wary of organized labor. The loss now makes it even harder for the union to recruit members at another Southern factory.

"If they can't win this one, what can they win?" asked Art Schwartz, a former General Motors labor negotiator who now is a consultant in Ann Arbor, Mich.

UAW President Bob King, in a 2011 speech to workers, said the union has no long-term future if it can't organize the Southern plants.[/quote]
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/uaw-vote ... nds-friday
As Monte Hall would say:
COME ON DOWN GM!
COME ON DOWN Ford!
COME ON DOWN Chrysler!
Lets make a deal!

I was pleased to hear this.

Liz, my mother lives on the line with NC and she was telling me that when the DNC had their convention in NC a few years ago part of their agreement for having it there was all the hotels had to employ union workers so many people were let go from their jobs and replaced with union workers from other places. Do you know anything about this? My mother is pretty old but still pretty sharp but I'm not sure she is right on this.

TN has a weak teachers union. Shame to. They lose a lot of good teachers to surrounding states due to their pay scale, and retirement.

TN has a weak teachers union. Shame to. They lose a lot of good teachers to surrounding states due to their pay scale, and retirement.
Good! I hope a lot more leave and the ones who stay vote for the local PTA to represent them so we can treat teachers just like ore law enforcement officers in the state when it comes to retirement.
I would vote to put them under the exact same plan.
What could be better then parents and teachers siting down and agreeing on their terms of employment to present to the school board for consideration.
Think about it!
Liz

I followed this story with great interest. I'm very happy the employees of the the VW plant had the good sense to say no to the UAW. VW better figure out that the UAW isn't anything like the unions in Germany that they are accustomed to dealing with.

Latest posts