TMR ration for stock cows

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1a8lvnl1 said:
Waterway65":1a8lvnl1 said:
I used to balance my own rations years ago for my dairy herd. With good software it's really not rocket science. It gives you solid facts to back what you are seeing In your herd and can catch problems much sooner. Mel
Actually it is science. Must more than just giving someone a crayola and thinking they can paint a Picasso. You can formulate a ration but seldom if ever will it be truly balanced unless you know the "science" behind the values and what they do. A truly well balanced ration will eliminate problems. What ration balancing program did you use?
I don't know what everyone else does but around me nutritionist formulate rations for free long as you buy mineral from them. People that are not using their knowledge really makes me stratch my head!

Till-Hill":kz25fby4 said:
TexasBred":kz25fby4 said:
Waterway65":kz25fby4 said:
I used to balance my own rations years ago for my dairy herd. With good software it's really not rocket science. It gives you solid facts to back what you are seeing In your herd and can catch problems much sooner. Mel
Actually it is science. Must more than just giving someone a crayola and thinking they can paint a Picasso. You can formulate a ration but seldom if ever will it be truly balanced unless you know the "science" behind the values and what they do. A truly well balanced ration will eliminate problems. What ration balancing program did you use?
I don't know what everyone else does but around me nutritionist formulate rations for free long as you buy mineral from them. People that are not using their knowledge really makes me stratch my head!
Very true....and if you don't want them to make your mineral they'll do it for a consulting fee and stay right on top of everything.

Most times if you grab a few bags and ask a question they will be more than helpfull. I have it easy as all forages are already tested for dairy so it truly is free to me.

If people can ask questions on here why can't you ask your local vet, nutritionist and anyone else in person?

Till-Hill":c7b0nngg said:
Most times if you grab a few bags and ask a question they will be more than helpfull. I have it easy as all forages are already tested for dairy so it truly is free to me.

If people can ask questions on here why can't you ask your local vet, nutritionist and anyone else in person?
Forage testing is the single most important part of balancing a ration. Without it you're in the dark. If you get those done free as well all the more reason to use the guy and yessir....question the he!! out of him.

I am sorry I don't have the software any more and cannot recall the name any more. I tested my feed all the time, I worked off and on with several nutritionists, and did a. lot of self education. If a person gets a good program and learns to use it I still maintain it's not rocket science and far better than rule of thumb and flyin by the seat of your pants. Beef cows are not nearly as sensitive a ration as what is required by top producing dairy cows. Mel

Waterway65":2adi2frz said:
I am sorry I don't have the software any more and cannot recall the name any more. I tested my feed all the time, I worked off and on with several nutritionists, and did a. lot of self education. If a person gets a good program and learns to use it I still maintain it's not rocket science and far better than rule of thumb and flyin by the seat of your pants. Beef cows are not nearly as sensitive a ration as what is required by top producing dairy cows. Mel

True...dairy cattle are extremely sensitive to changes in ration and results can be seen immediately. As for programs, all work to some degree. Everyone that intends to try and utilize some sort of feed formulation program needs to educate themselves to at least have a working knowledge of the nutrient densities I mentioned earlier, how one may affect another in a positive and/or negative way, how it may affect a cow and her production in a positive and/or negative way. There is just so much more to it than Protein, fat and fiber....or you can do it the purina way and just run everything "least cost". :mrgreen:

Texasbred for the most part we are in agreement. Self education is very important and doable. Working with extension people and other consultants when possible is advisable and is even more effective as a manager better understands his ration. Mel

Waterway65":3pob2llk said:
Texasbred for the most part we are in agreement. Self education is very important and doable. Working with extension people and other consultants when possible is advisable and is even more effective as a manager better understands his ration. Mel
True...most extension folks down here are pretty worthless though.

Latest posts