'tis the season

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
Well, for all you northern farmers. Its about that time of year. Like all cultures, northern cattle farmers have their own traditions and rituals. One that is common this time of year is called the 'tractor starting ritual'. It a very complex dance. It comes with its own costume and a chant consisting of alot of phrases probably not suited for children's ears. The costume is not really flashy as most of it is sort of a beige color. But it is heavy and comes with a set of oversized boots. Anyway, it starts with the basic 'hope' ritual where you spray ether in the air intake and climb in the tractor and hope that its going to start. The engine turns over slowly and you realize that the 'hope' ritual has failed. So, this is where the 'not suitable for children' chanting begins. So, then you climb out of the tractor. This sometimes can include 'the banging of the shin' dance. Then you go and climb into the truck. As you climb into the truck, you perform another 'hope' ritual. (If it fails, its followed by more chanting). Anyway, at some point, you get a vehicle and park it as close to the tractor as you can. Occasionally, you get too close and hit the tractor (more chanting). Then invariably, you have parked too close to the edge of the door and you need to squeeze through (more chanting). Finally, there is the 'jumper cable dance' where you keep going cable by cable to adjust the jumper cables because they don't seem to be transferring power from the other vehicle to the tractor (more chanting). This also can be combined with 'the banging of the shin dance' and the 'hope' ritual when more variety is needed. Eventually the chanting reaches a fever pitch and either the 'hope' ritual is successful or you phone the neighbor and see if his 'hope' ritual worked and you get him to feed the cows.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1tvm2amq said:
Well, for all you northern farmers. Its about that time of year. Like all cultures, northern cattle farmers have their own traditions and rituals. One that is common this time of year is called the 'tractor starting ritual'. It a very complex dance. It comes with its own costume and a chant consisting of alot of phrases probably not suited for children's ears. The costume is not really flashy as most of it is sort of a beige color. But it is heavy and comes with a set of oversized boots. Anyway, it starts with the basic 'hope' ritual where you spray ether in the air intake and climb in the tractor and hope that its going to start. The engine turns over slowly and you realize that the 'hope' ritual has failed. So, this is where the 'not suitable for children' chanting begins. So, then you climb out of the tractor. This sometimes can include 'the banging of the shin' dance. Then you go and climb into the truck. As you climb into the truck, you perform another 'hope' ritual. (If it fails, its followed by more chanting). Anyway, at some point, you get a vehicle and park it as close to the tractor as you can. Occasionally, you get too close and hit the tractor (more chanting). Then invariably, you have parked too close to the edge of the door and you need to squeeze through (more chanting). Finally, there is the 'jumper cable dance' where you keep going cable by cable to adjust the jumper cables because they don't seem to be transferring power from the other vehicle to the tractor (more chanting). This also can be combined with 'the banging of the shin dance' and the 'hope' ritual when more variety is needed. Eventually the chanting reaches a fever pitch and either the 'hope' ritual is successful or you phone the neighbor and see if his 'hope' ritual worked and you get him to feed the cows.

CCR I lived in the North west part of ohio for a few years,back then it was nothing to have a chill factor -30 in winter time with a$$ deep snow. I was quite often doing this ritual.
Left there in winter of 82 and aint looked back.

Cal

Haw Haw Haw.......I done that "shin dance" myself more than once but I didn't know I was dancin. :D :D :D

CRR - I was assuming this type of ritual was exclusive to my experience :oops: I currently am nursing a large bruise on my right knee from jumping off the tractor onto the lawnmower. It was an extremly graceful move, one I'm sure I couldn't repeat. :roll:

Am now looking for any excuse possible to get out of chores. -4 with wind chill here!

Anybody needs advice on the "chanting" let me know. I'm a chanting expert. :lol:

Happens down south too. I moved our 1950 JD B down to Alabama about 5 years ago. The thing still thinks its in Michigan. Makes me chant and dance every winter..... Dang Snowbird!! Its not retirement time!! There's work to be done!!

I feel your pain/

Block heaters on the tractor - Time plugged in is direct correlation to the temp outside.

Wife is to remember to plug the tractor in at precise time, or Husband will chant loudly on having to wait and thus feed hay in the dark.

Perfect Christmas gift given to hubby one year - Nice sized portable battery charger :nod:

Absolutely nothing hurts worse than a body part coming into contact with a cold piece of iron at a high velocity when your body has not had a chance to get numb yet. It always feels twice as worse for some reason :x

Michele

BTW - Hardest starting is a MF - husband swears that if you walk by it with an ice cream cone it won't start. Good thing it is strictly a summer tractor.

Michele

mitch2":3fcjaflq said:
BTW - Hardest starting is a MF - husband swears that if you walk by it with an ice cream cone it won't start. Good thing it is strictly a summer tractor.

Michele

that mf yer talking bout goes alotta different ways sometimes as well

mitch2":25q5fa1g said:
I feel your pain/

Block heaters on the tractor - Time plugged in is direct correlation to the temp outside.

Wife is to remember to plug the tractor in at precise time, or Husband will chant loudly on having to wait and thus feed hay in the dark.

Perfect Christmas gift given to hubby one year - Nice sized portable battery charger :nod:

Absolutely nothing hurts worse than a body part coming into contact with a cold piece of iron at a high velocity when your body has not had a chance to get numb yet. It always feels twice as worse for some reason :x

Michele

Gee Michele are we married to the same man? :shock:

MistyMorning":1wpinjy5 said:
CRR - I was assuming this type of ritual was exclusive to my experience :oops: I currently am nursing a large bruise on my right knee from jumping off the tractor onto the lawnmower. It was an extremly graceful move, one I'm sure I couldn't repeat. :roll:

Am now looking for any excuse possible to get out of chores. -4 with wind chill here!

what no pic's of this most unfortunate accident for us to see, and laugh at :oops: sorry I mean feel sorry for..... ;-)

MistyMorning":1l693unx said:
mitch2":1l693unx said:
I feel your pain/

Michele

Gee Michele are we married to the same man? :shock:

O Lord for your sake I hope not ;-)

Michele

yall had to start this didnt ya!
tractor ran fine til yesterday. left the key on so i figured it was just dead. well its not. charged up and still wont crank. nuetral sw or key sw aint even hittin...at least its 78 degrees here....cows are hungry. hayring just about bare now....dangit!
dangit dangit dangit!!!!! DANGIT!!!!!! :x

dieselbeef":3e72ch16 said:
yall had to start this didnt ya!
tractor ran fine til yesterday. left the key on so i figured it was just dead. well its not. charged up and still wont crank. nuetral sw or key sw aint even hittin...at least its 78 degrees here....cows are hungry. hayring just about bare now....dangit!
dangit dangit dangit!!!!! DANGIT!!!!!! :x

Sounds like you have the rhythm of the chant going. Now you just need to get a bit more creative. The windchill here this morning is -29 F. Chilly. I've had the battery charger plugged in all night and I plugged the tractor in this morning. Its always dark when I get home from work and right now I'm feeding an extra 50 odd head of cattle that are a half mile down the road until my brother gets them picked up when the weather warms up. So, I'll be ready to start the whole ritual again at about 6 o'clock tonight. Wish me luck.

Awww quit your crying there dieselbeef. At least its 78 degrees not -14! Seriously hope you get it started.

Say Michele maybe you want to trade stories on putting chains on the tractor with the husband? Did ours last week and I seriously considered putting the bale spear through his cold black heart! :shock:

wow! :shock:
-14..wtf.
chains...fer what...just kiddin i know. i lived in pennsylvania for 20 yrs so i know chains. and wreckers and snowplows....

it never snows here ;-)

dieselbeef":36ut3ngr said:
wow! :shock:
-14..wtf.
chains...fer what...just kiddin i know. i lived in pennsylvania for 20 yrs so i know chains. and wreckers and snowplows....

it never snows here ;-)

That's why your taxes are high. :shock:

I been thinking maybe I could cross my cows to a bear. Then they would sleep all winter and I wouldn't have to feed them till spring. Give that old massey the winter off. :idea: :idea:

rkm":9v3yfp1x said:
I been thinking maybe I could cross my cows to a bear. Then they would sleep all winter and I wouldn't have to feed them till spring. Give that old massey the winter off. :idea: :idea:

:D :D :D :D :D