tip for repairing a cracked rubbermaid water tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I have a 150 gal rubbermaid tank that has 2 small cracks about 4" above the drain plug. Doesn't leak much--maybe a qt or 2 a day but afraid they may get worse. Any good way to fix this? It is not a new tank, so I can't return it.

There is an epoxy putty that used to be sold at our JD store before it went out of business. It worked real well. I don't remember the name but it was in a yellow box or had yellow writing. When you mixed it it you would think it was going to catch on fire because it got so hot.

On the inside get the surface around the cracks real clean and apply JB Weld. I have tanks that have been cracked fr 10 years that I repaired that way and they still don;t leak

For the less serious cracks that just baerly seep I've used the aerosol spray on rubber coating on the insideof the tanks. Sofar the longest I've had one in use after spraying it is just about a year but it still isn't leaking/seeping. Rather then get it from the TV informercail, Lowes and the other hardware store usually carry it. It's a lot cheaper and you get more per can.

dun":3rm63kbs said:
For the less serious cracks that just baerly seep I've used the aerosol spray on rubber coating on the insideof the tanks. Sofar the longest I've had one in use after spraying it is just about a year but it still isn't leaking/seeping. Rather then get it from the TV informercail, Lowes and the other hardware store usually carry it. It's a lot cheaper and you get more per can.
ive even seen it at dollar general. truck bed liner in the spray can works too.

M5farm":1htmk2mj said:
dun":1htmk2mj said:
ive even seen it at dollar general. truck bed liner in the spray can works too.
My concern with the truck bed liner is some of the chemicals that it's made from. I don;t recall what they are since it was 5 years ago tha I looked into them. Couldn;t pronouce most of the names so I got worried.

I forgot this thread. I used the 2 part JB weld on it, inside and out and it hasn't leaked a drop since I patched it last week of July.

windshield urethane is also really good stuff for fixing stuff that has to be flexible... sticks like nothing else, including to your fingers!