Time to Feed Out???

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Breed: Black Angus
I have always used weight as my determiner... 1100 lbs....
While I was sitting around the other day, I was wondering if any of you use time?
I.e. Eighteen months old and with four month of isolation and being on grain. Then butcher regardless of weight.
TIA

i use both weight an time on feed.i get a starting weight est.then i know how long i have to feed to get to my finish weight.an i figure the amount of feed itll take an number of days on feed.

I try to manage my butchers so they will be on full feed at least 120 days. normally the calves are avg. 600 lbs at weaning, and i try to make them gain about 2.5 lbs/day for 90 days or so. after a couple weeks transition get them to full feed where the calves usually avg. 3.5-4.0 lbs/day gain. After 120 days on full feed, the calves will be avg. 14.3 months of age, steers will weigh between 1250 and 1300 lbs, heifers between 1100 and 1225 lbs. Generally, by this time the top heifers and steers will be ready to butcher (maybe a couple weeks past ready). To be finished- they have to look finished. The remaining calves will finish out up to a few weeks later- which works out well with scheduling butchering services, and filling customer orders.

To determine finish on your calf should be rather easy since it is an angus. The brisket will be full, area each side of the tail-head will show fat pockets, the topline (although not very wide on an angus :lol: ) will be flat-topped, sides of the calf along the hind quarter and rib area will be dimpled and slab-sided, and if it is a steer-the bag will normally look fat.

what works for me might seem like nonsense :shock: to others, but i hope it helps you out.

ROB

Rob, that's not nonsense, that's good advice.
A person can also look at the top of the shoulders. They should be flat across the top and you shouldn't see the shoulder blades on top as they walk. Also look for a crease where they shoulders meet the neck. Read the cattle and let them tell you when they're ready.

Latest posts