Tilling question

Help Support CattleToday:

Col Reb

Reaction score
So it's been several years since I have worked in a real garden. Probably 30 or so when I helped my grandparents. We have had raised bed gardens for the past 5-6 years & have decided this year to have a full fledged garden. We disked it up & planning on planting this weekend. I was planning on just do-alling it with the tractor several times until it was powder & then plant. However, the wife says I need to till it with the tiller instead. Can someone give me some insight, please? I'd much rather sit in the cab of the tractor but guess I better do what's best.

Probably just do whatever the wife wants. 🤣 Wife has something in mind better stick to her plan. Be thankful you have wife that wants to do that stuff they aren't all equal. 😊

Probably just do whatever the wife wants. 🤣 Wife has something in mind better stick to her plan. Be thankful you have wife that wants to do that stuff they aren't all equal. 😊
Well she likes gardening but hates cows so have to take the good with the bad. Looks like walking behind the tiller is what I'll be doing.

We have a 3 point hitch tiller, that I work up ground with. It gets it in much better shape than hand tiller. If you are planning on doing a sizable garden year after year, I'd look into one.

Well she likes gardening but hates cows so have to take the good with the bad. Looks like walking behind the tiller is what I'll be doing.

Maybe it's not that she hates the cows, you just haven't prove they are worth having. 😆 Tell her time spent with cows is better than you smoking dope or running the streets or whatever. Some people have way worse hobbies than having cows. Plus your hobby is a second job. Gotta talk it up bet she will come around to like the cows. 😁

Maybe it's not that she hates the cows, you just haven't prove they are worth having. 😆 Tell her time spent with cows is better than you smoking dope or running the streets or whatever. Some people have way worse hobbies than having cows. Plus your hobby is a second job. Gotta talk it up bet she will come around to like the cows. 😁
The problem is that she's an accountant & at the end of the year I'm just hoping to break even because she's going to have that sharp pencil out. No breaks for me. She said I could work at McDonald's & make a lot more money for the time it takes & still be around all the beef that I wanted, lol. She knows I'd break even then, too. I really like those apple pies 🤓

The problem is that she's an accountant & at the end of the year I'm just hoping to break even because she's going to have that sharp pencil out. No breaks for me. She said I could work at McDonald's & make a lot more money for the time it takes & still be around all the beef that I wanted, lol. She knows I'd break even then, too. I really like those apple pies 🤓

I've never worked at McDonald's just don't think it would give you the peace of mind like having cows. More like cow therapy. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Hey whatever works.

Mulch for weed control. I mulch with old hay. 8 or 12 inches thick. Keeps the soil cool, slows water evaporation, plus the worms love it. And they poop nitrogen. Also keeps soil from turning to concrete under rain.

Large garden though, its some work up front. But no having to run through with a hoe or a walk behind tiller. You're pretty much done til you plant again. Weeds pull out by hand, what few can poke through the hay.

Makes your soil darker over time.

The problem is that she's an accountant & at the end of the year I'm just hoping to break even because she's going to have that sharp pencil out. No breaks for me. She said I could work at McDonald's & make a lot more money for the time it takes & still be around all the beef that I wanted, lol.
Damm. My sister is a tax accountant, but I never let her get close to my return.

Problem solved. Put my 15 year old behind the wheel. Wife got her garden tilled & I didn't have to kill my self doing it.

Lol good to see kids do manual labor but I disc my garden until its powder I have a 3 pt tiller and no tiller I walk behind

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_151141631.jpg
    IMG_20210403_151141631.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210304_123858561.jpg
    IMG_20210304_123858561.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts