TIGER STRIPE CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdyjabo":1eyabsk7 said:
I love them--cept for throwing red calves.

Huh???

Breed a tigerstipe to an angus and you get a black calf. I'd take a tigerstripe anyday. Then cull them for disposition. IMO, there is no better moma cow. And run them through the cattle barn with a calf at their side and see the bidding wars. They are highly prized down here.

We got SOME red calves when bred to an angus.

Temperment wise-- most of the herd was Brahma crosses-- the tigers were the easiest to work with(cept around day olds).

We also used dogs and Pops was a stickler for going slow and letting them settle-- so we didn't have any rodeos come workup.
Good thing too cause the working pens were substandard :)

Pops would pay more to get a tiger replacement-- swears he never had to pull a calf off one or ever lost a calf off a tiger. And they produced year in and year out-- till they lost their teeth.

This latest discussion of Tigerstripes has gotten me to wondering. The consensus seems to be the Tigers are good cows because of the Brahman influence. So the next question is if there were no discount for the supposed inferiority of Brahman meat would the same people who like to run Tigers be just as happy running straight Brahman?

NO to me its the down side to raising FS1s is the steers if i could have nothing but heifers out of the brahman cow then you bet i would have a thousand of um.

cherokeeruby":1uf37i8b said:
This latest discussion of Tigerstripes has gotten me to wondering. The consensus seems to be the Tigers are good cows because of the Brahman influence. So the next question is if there were no discount for the supposed inferiority of Brahman meat would the same people who like to run Tigers be just as happy running straight Brahman?

If it wasn't for the hit at the salebarn I would run Brammers I love the cattle. The biggest promlems brammers have is Frankie Fiction buyers that when it comes to cattle dont know whether to wind there butt or wipe there watch. The same buyers pay premium for F-1's and say Brammer meat is bad. Tigers are not mean you don't work brammers you lead. Also of all the cattle less than a hundred years ago the brammer was having to survive in an an enviroment of lions and tigers, while the Angus and others had been in safety of less hostile enviroment. The flight or fight instinct is still very stong in Brammer cattle.

Caustic Burno":36xsqk6x said:
cherokeeruby":36xsqk6x said:

If it wasn't for the hit at the salebarn I would run Brammers I love the cattle. The biggest promlems brammers have is Frankie Fiction buyers that when it comes to cattle dont know whether to wind there butt or wipe there watch. The same buyers pay premium for F-1's and say Brammer meat is bad. Tigers are not mean you don't work brammers you lead. Also of all the cattle less than a hundred years ago the brammer was having to survive in an an enviroment of lions and tigers, while the Angus and others had been in safety of less hostile enviroment. The flight or fight instinct is still very stong in Brammer cattle.

Aw, Caustic. I see that you're still smarting from my calling you about management not affecting birthweight. :D

It's not fiction that MARC data shows the more Brahman influence in the meat, the more likely it will be tough.

It's not fiction that the more Brahman in a calf at the sale barn, the less money it will bring.

Not sure your statement that the more brahman blood in the calf the lower the price. Last month sold a 600# Brahman bull calf at the sale barn for $1.12 per pound, the calves that went through that were in his weight class brought similar prices, some lower some higher. I seem to recall the price being anwhere from $1.05 to $1.20. Calves that appeared to be brangus brought exactly what he did, calves that appeared to be purebred English blood brought the low end.

The last time we sold F-1 steers they outpriced pureblood english calves including straight angus for the same weights. Also I would like to mention that bringing off a 600# calve is a piece of cake for a a Brahman cow, no supplements, drought, sorry grazing conditions. No fly tags, no calving difficulties, no predator problems.

Frankie":su9xt231 said:
Caustic Burno":su9xt231 said:
cherokeeruby":su9xt231 said:

Aw, Caustic. I see that you're still smarting from my calling you about management not affecting birthweight. :D

It's not fiction that MARC data shows the more Brahman influence in the meat, the more likely it will be tough.

It's not fiction that the more Brahman in a calf at the sale barn, the less money it will bring.

No Frankie not smarting, you are the type of Seedstock breeder that have made me hate a good breed of cattle with your holier than though attitude. With your spewing from the pulpit Angus Angus Angus BS and your blindness to other benifits other breeds bring to the table . Spewing Angus rethoric and marc crap mean nothing to me.

cherokeeruby":nzxc02l3 said:
Not sure your statement that the more brahman blood in the calf the lower the price. Last month sold a 600# Brahman bull calf at the sale barn for $1.12 per pound, the calves that went through that were in his weight class brought similar prices, some lower some higher. I seem to recall the price being anwhere from $1.05 to $1.20. Calves that appeared to be brangus brought exactly what he did, calves that appeared to be purebred English blood brought the low end.

The last time we sold F-1 steers they outpriced pureblood english calves including straight angus for the same weights. Also I would like to mention that bringing off a 600# calve is a piece of cake for a a Brahman cow, no supplements, drought, sorry grazing conditions. No fly tags, no calving difficulties, no predator problems.

I can't speak for your sale, but some AL sale barns list prices for Brahman influenced animals. Take a look at the Opp, Moulton, and Florence sale barns at this link:

http://cattletoday.com/markets.htm

Discounts for Brahman cattle may be regional and also change with the season. Our local cattle buyer says the feedlots don't want anything with more than 1/4 Brahman influence, especially in the winter. If they're going to be fed in the summer, the discount's not as bad.

My personal opinion is that people should run what they like. None of us are likely to get rich off our cattle, so we might as well run what makes up happy. Angus make me happy.

BTW, my registered Angus cows regularly wean 6-700 bull calves. No creep. Mostly native grass pastures, and it gets pretty hot and cold here in southern Oklahoma.

Caustic Burno":3n1co9el said:
Frankie":3n1co9el said:
Caustic Burno":3n1co9el said:
cherokeeruby":3n1co9el said:

No Frankie not smarting, you are the type of Seedstock breeder that have made me hate a good breed of cattle with your holier than though attitude. With your spewing from the pulpit Angus Angus Angus BS and your blindness to other benifits other breeds bring to the table . Spewing Angus rethoric and marc crap mean nothing to me.

I'm the type of person that stands up to bullies and those spouting hot air and spreading inaccurate information. I guess that doesn't set well with you. I think we all know why.

Frankie":1id8ngvk said:
Caustic Burno":1id8ngvk said:
Frankie":1id8ngvk said:
Caustic Burno":1id8ngvk said:
cherokeeruby":1id8ngvk said:

I'm the type of person that stands up to bullies and those spouting hot air and spreading inaccurate information. I guess that doesn't set well with you. I think we all know why.

No Frankie you don't get it I don't like you. It is quite evident you are very intelligent on Angus cattle. You seem to think that people that run a different breed are not as smart or as good as you Angus breeders. Thirty years ago Angus breeders were trying to get the little belly draggin hogs off the ground and make a real beef cow. I will give you that job well done with whatever you stuck in there with them.
Edit
You can spout all that Marc and Epd garbage you want come back after 30 years in the business and I might give you an ear. I look for real cattle to perform in the real world and you aint got it IMO.
It total amazes me how us dumb commericial cattlemen ever made it without the internet and no Angus influence.

Caustic Burno":1g55644v said:

Frankie":1g55644v said:

Caustic":1g55644v said:
No Frankie you don't get it I don't like you. It is quite evident you are very intelligent on Angus cattle. You seem to think that people that run a different breed are not as smart or as good as you Angus breeders. Thirty years ago Angus breeders were trying to get the little belly draggin hogs off the ground and make a real beef cow. I will give you that job well done with whatever you stuck in there with them.

I get it all right. What you don't seem to understand is that I don't give a hoot whether you like me or not. :idea: I'm going to correct you when you put out information that I feel is inaccurate.

When I show that you're blowing hot air like about the BW EPDs, you respond with personal insults. That doesn't bother me a bit; I just consider the source. It only shows anyone who's reading the thread what kind of person you are. And it ain't a pretty sight.

You can spout all that Marc and Epd garbage you want come back after 30 years in the business and I might give you an ear. I look for real cattle to perform in the real world and you aint got it IMO.

We sometimes get potential bull buyers who call and want to tell us what our bulls are worth without ever seeing them, too. I just charge it up to ignorance.

It total amazes me how us dumb commericial cattlemen ever made it without the internet and no Angus influence.

I have great respect for commercial cattlemen. They're my customers and I spend a lot of time trying to breed bulls that they'll want to buy and improve their cattle. The ones willing to pay for good bulls want good EPDs, performance information, and a guarantee. They get all that with our bulls. I wouldn't waste my time on you, though, because you wouldn't want to change anything even if you knew it would make you a buck or two. That would be admitting.... Well, never mind.

Out of 34 mommas I have 3 tigerstripe and they have the best disposition of all. Very gentel easy to work with gave black calfs bred to an angus. And have the longest lasting bawling of any. Seems they won't shutup.

Only problem I had one of the calf got scours and pinned it and moma up, to doctor calf.Moma jumped over cow panels to get back to the herd. After 2 times of this I just tied the calf up and left the gate open.She came up to the barn and fed the little calf just fine on her own. Just didn't want to be seperated from the herd. They are great mommas and very protective of their young. And also of the other moma's young.

Cal

Frankie":3hktskn1 said:
My personal opinion is that people should run what they like. None of us are likely to get rich off our cattle, so we might as well run what makes up happy. Angus make me happy.

I'll cut that out and "save" it.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see you and caustic at it again.... :p

VanC":29gs42my said:
It's my understanding that they make great range cows because they are so protective and do a better job of fending off predators than some other breeds or crosses might.

I have ran cattle from the Texas Coastal bend with pastures that butted up to the Gulf of Mexico to the Big Thicket and no breed thrives like a Brammer or there crosses with Hereford or Angus.
I have wondered how they survived poorest grass in the world, rattlesnakes, alligators and not a wind break for miles or a tree and the skeeters as I have actually seen them stand in the Gulf with just there heads sticking out of the water to get some relief. Amazingly tough cattle.
I rememeber the itroduction of the Chars in the 70's the bulls fell apart in that enviroment good cows just could not handle those conditions, just as a brammer doesn't belong in Montana but we tried. Calfs did well we tried the Simms Limms Chars Maines and everthing else they all fell apart. Only three bulls breeds could handle that enviroment 1 Brahman 2 Brangus 3 Hereford.

1848":3smklynk said:
Frankie":3smklynk said:

I believe what I said. The problem seems to be that sooner or later most people actually want to make some money on their cattle. Or they're tired of hearing from the neighbor that he's selling his calves for more $$. Then those pretty, special or unusual, cattle don't make him as happy.

Caustic hasn't got a leg to stand on in this discussion. The more he throws out personal insults, the worse he looks. If he'll simply leave me out of his rude comments, I'll mostly leave him alone.

Frankie how long have you owned a cow be truthful.
I have got 36 years and have you ever operated in more than one enviroment at time?
There a lot of really smart cattlewomen on this board that know cattle.
All I can determine that you know is Angus garbage that some one sent you on a piece of paper.
My cattle can't read I am working on it.
And you don't respect the Commericial cattleman you are after a froghide in his billfold. Your post reflect you think the commericial cattleman is something you step in on the way to the barn.

Brahmas have their place-- in the commercial market its to have a 1/4 blood go to market.

Even 1/4 are discounted some-- when they travel north to feed-- they don't do as well in the cold.
And their hide doesn't sell as well-- it can be thin.

But I'd take the discount any day-- its more than made up for by the cows being environmentally suited to heat and humidity.

I remember a few years back a heat wave hit a feedlot I do business with up north.He'd always kinda poo pooed people keeping the Brahman influence-his point was why bother.
That year He had cattle dieing in the pens from the heat. The 1/2's and 1/4's weren't even breathing hard and were gaining weight. He no longer trashes us having brahma cross cows down here :)
But won't let us send anything but 1/4's in the winter.

I rue the day when one breed takes over the commercial market-- having that as a goal is a mistake-- Even for the seedstock producers.
Most breeds are on this earth for a reason-- they fit a niche somewhere.
There isn't and never will be ONE breed that can fill ALL the niches out there.
Whenever a breed is bred for specific genetic traits-- they will be attained-- but ALWAYS at the cost of another genetic trait.

Frankie":2388uz1n said:
1848":2388uz1n said:
Frankie":2388uz1n said:

I believe what I said. The problem seems to be that sooner or later most people actually want to make some money on their cattle. Or they're tired of hearing from the neighbor that he's selling his calves for more $$. Then those pretty, special or unusual, cattle don't make him as happy.

Caustic hasn't got a leg to stand on in this discussion. The more he throws out personal insults, the worse he looks. If he'll simply leave me out of his rude comments, I'll mostly leave him alone.

I can see from your lack of response is all you know is your little corner of Ok so that makes you a Brammer expert. I would like to see that bunch of Angus along Chocolate Bay or in the Old and Lost river Bottom in Trinity Bay or that Armand Bayou or Long Island Bayou country they might last one year. But look at the upside you would have a bunch of paper with Marc Data and registration papers to mop up your tears while the buzzards and gators got fat.

Caustic Burno":1uz70a1b said:
Frankie how long have you owned a cow be truthful.

Twenty years or so. First commercial; then the registered Angus.

I have got 36 years and have you ever operated in more than one enviroment at time?

Whoop de do! Am I supposed to be impressed? I know men who have been running cattle for fifty years and don't know that a cow cycles every 21 days or so, won't pay more than $700 for a bull, and think RCALF has their best interests at heart. Dad blame it, $700 bought a good bull 30 years ago, they're not going to pay a cent more today! Should I put you in that category? No, we've only had cows since we've been back in OK. We run our registered cattle pretty much like we did our commercial and like our neighbors run their cattle.

There a lot of really smart cattlewomen on this board that know cattle.

That's true and most of them are willing to share their knowledge with anyone who asks without being insulting or "Caustic." You prefer to insult and demean anyone that dares to disagree with you.

All I can determine that you know is Angus garbage that some one sent you on a piece of paper.

Since you don't like me, your determination doesn't hold much water.

My cattle can't read I am working on it.

Maybe you should get someone smarter than them to teach them.

And you don't respect the Commericial cattleman you are after a froghide in his billfold. Your post reflect you think the commericial cattleman is something you step in on the way to the barn.

More insults? Hey, everyone, Caustic is showing us his backside again. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts