Tifton 85 Comments

Help Support CattleToday:

kb5iod":3tw7h1j8 said:
My dad has about ten acres of 85 that he started with a single runner about three feet long. After he got a small patch established we cut some tops using the disc mower. We then loaded the tops onto the back of a 16 foot trailer which was hooked behind a tractor. Drove across the field and scattered the tops.

Run a disk over the field until it is nothing but dirt. Then run the disk through the tops after you scatter them. As mentioned earlier, 85 must be packed with this planting method. We have planted Alicia this way and if it touches dirt it will take, but the 85 requires a little extra care.

We have also planted 85 in rows about three feet apart. Dig a trench, put the 85 tops in, and pack with the tractor wheels. This is more time consuming but uses fewer tops if you are just starting.

By the way, a pickup/trailer load of tops will cover a lot of ground.
What are ya'll calling tops? If I start this 85, I'm going to have to know what to cut so I can scatter the tops.

What are ya'll calling tops? If I start this 85, I'm going to have to know what to cut so I can scatter the tops.

When Bermuda grass is cut and covered with soil and is given ample moisture, a root will shoot out from the "Joints" in the stem.

The "Tops" could be considered everything above ground including the "Stems".

Course if you had time you could separate the leaves and feed them to your cows. :lol:

READE THIS!

Tifton 85 Bermuda Grass

C. G. Chambliss and L. S. Dunavin

Tifton 85 Bermuda Grass is a hybrid Bermuda Grass developed by the USDA-ARS in cooperation with the University of Georgia Coastal Plain Experiment Station, Tifton, Georgia. Released in 1992, it is a cross between a plant introduction from South Africa and Tifton 68, a highly digestible, but cold-susceptible hybrid. It is sterile and does not produce seed. Tifton 85 has larger stems, broader leaves and a darker green color than other Bermuda Grass hybrids. It has larger but fewer rhizomes (underground stems that can produce new plants) than Coastal or Tifton 44. Its stolons (above ground runners) are large and grow very rapidly.
At the Coastal Plain Experiment Station, Tifton 85 produced 26% more forage that was 11% more digestible than Coastal Bermuda Grass. In other research in Georgia, Tifton 85 was compared to Tifton 78 in a three-year grazing study with steers grazed continuously from mid-April to mid-October. Results in Table 1 show an annual live weight gain of 1032 pounds per acre from Tifton 85 compared to 738 pounds per acre for Tifton 78. These results indicate the increased vigor and productivity of Tifton 85 over that of the older Bermuda Grasses. Observations in Florida indicate that Tifton 85 is well suited for use as a grazing and/or hay crop. Some hay producers have commented that because of the larger stems and higher yields, it takes longer to dry than Coastal. Initial observations indicate that it does have rapid stolon growth and may be easier to establish than Tifton 78, which has been somewhat variable in its ease of establishment. Observations to date indicate no disadvantages of Tifton 85 and indicate that it is well suited as a grazing and/or hay crop for Florida.
Table 1. Three-year average performance of steers grazing

Tifton 78 or Tifton 85 pastures. 1
Grass Average daily gain
(lb/day) Carrying capacity
(steer days/A) Total live weight gain
(lb/A)
Tifton 85 1.47 704 1032
Tifton 78 1.43 534 738
1Data from Hill, et al. Fertilized annually with 225 pounds of nitrogen in 3 split applications plus adequate P and K.

ESTABLISHMENT
Tifton 85 can be established by planting sprigs with mechanical planters or by broadcasting and disking in tops. Sprigs can be dug and planted starting in late winter, when the plants are still dormant, and through the spring and summer. Tops (green stems) can be harvested and planted in the summer. Plants should be fully mature (8 to 10 weeks old) before harvesting. Use conventional hay equipment for cutting and baling the tops. Adjust the baler to make small bales (60 - 70 pounds) that can be easily handled. Try to plant tops during rainy, cloudy weather. Dry soil and bright hot days may dry out the planting material, especially tops, resulting in a poor stand. Always plant in moist soil or irrigate if available.
Immediately after planting, the soil should be packed with a heavy culti-packer or land roller. Small plantings can be packed by driving a tractor back and forth over the planted area. For weed control recommendations at establishment, see SS-AGR-08 Weed Management in Pastures and Rangeland in the "Weeds in the Sunshine" series. Apply 30 pounds of nitrogen per acre, and phosphorus and potassium according to soil test recommendations as soon as the grass starts to emerge. Apply 70 pounds of nitrogen per acre plus 1/2 of the recommended potassium 30 days later or when runners start to form. With adequate and continuous soil moisture, complete coverage of Tifton 85 should occur in 90 days.
If the grass is planted early in the year, the first growth can be harvested for hay. Some fall growth should be accumulated to help protect stolons of the new planting from freezing. Although Tifton 85 has less cold tolerance than Tifton 44 or Coastal, this is not expected to be a problem in Florida and especially in peninsular Florida. When possible, all planting should be completed by the end of July. This will give the plants plenty of time to develop before winter. In peninsular Florida, Coastal and other Bermuda Grasses have been successfully established from late summer and fall plantings when soil moisture was adequate and a relatively mild winter followed. Some additional risk of stand failure may be involved with late plantings as compared to earlier plantings.
If there is a considerable amount of frosted grass in the spring following first year establishment, it may be desirable to remove it by harvesting or burning. Burn in early March or when the chance of a freeze has passed. Try to burn after a rain when the soil surface is moist and burn with the wind for a cooler fire. Do this to avoid fire damage to the stolons and plants that have developed from stolons. Soon after burning, apply 80 to 100 pounds of nitrogen along with recommended amounts of phosphorus and potassium.
Tifton 85 can be used for both grazing and hay production. Under grazing, add additional nitrogen during the growing season if additional production is needed. For hay production, apply 80 to 100 pounds of nitrogen plus recommended amounts of phosphorous and potassium for each hay harvest. Potassium should not be depleted to low levels since research has shown some stand loss for Bermuda Grass under low potassium levels.
In summary, Tifton 85 appears to be the highest yielding, most digestible Bermuda Grass available for use in Florida.

jack.diamond":g3gtc7o9 said:
Have been thinking of sprigging a pasture or two with Tifton 85. From what I have been able to find out, should grow in the Central Texas area. Would like to hear some comments from folks that have it growing. I managed to get a few round bales of the stuff and the cows really like it compared to Coastal.

Jack

Naiser's website says he supplies the tops. Damon Farm & Ranch will plant tops or roots. Tops are $55 per acre and roots are $90 per acre. Quinton says, "I don't think there is any difference in results." I can't see how that can be true.

Angus/Brangus":1atd8r19 said:
Steve Naiser may still do the sprigging for $50 per acre. His website is http://www.stephendnaiser.com and he offers a lot of free information. He will also give you some sources for sprigs

Latest posts