Tifton 85 question

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
havent been here in a while and had a question about my tifton I had sprigged in this year. It is growing like a weed and spreading pretty quick, the only thing I see is that most plants are throwing a lot of seed heads. my question is once it reaches a certain maturity does it stop growing and dry out or does it continue as normal? I wasn't planning on baling because I don't want the rake to pull up all the runners. Would it help if I rolled it with my sod roller before a rain to lay tops so they make roots on the joints? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Ive got limited experience with it, but just took over 20 neglected acres Im trying to get back in shape. From my experience it will lay down on its own if allowed to grow tall enough and you get a lot of wind and rain. The runners tend to extend out from base of each plant and they peg down pretty good. you will pull some up when raking it but it will continue to spread after cutting with good fertilizer and rain.

jrn28":3pbyn60j said:
havent been here in a while and had a question about my tifton I had sprigged in this year. It is growing like a weed and spreading pretty quick, the only thing I see is that most plants are throwing a lot of seed heads. my question is once it reaches a certain maturity does it stop growing and dry out or does it continue as normal? I wasn't planning on baling because I don't want the rake to pull up all the runners. Would it help if I rolled it with my sod roller before a rain to lay tops so they make roots on the joints? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I was under the impression that the hybrid Tifton85 Bermuda did not make seeds, that is the reason for having to sprig it. :?:

Rajela":9xc9txnt said:
jrn28":9xc9txnt said:

I was under the impression that the hybrid Tifton85 Bermuda did not make seeds, that is the reason for having to sprig it. :?:

85 will produce a small seed head sometimes but IIRC most of the seeds wont work so it still has to be sprigged. I've never seen it establish any other way except thru runners that peg down at the joints

If you are seeing seed heads you need to cut it or it will stall. If you cut it and the runners have stretched out and have pegged down running a rake over it would actually help you since it will detach the runner from the mother plant and the runner will become another mother plant. But like you say, you could tear some out of the ground but for the most part you will be doing it good. However, if you have access to something like a Hayking with the straight coulters - running this over it would be better.

Like said, the seed is sterile but the seed head formation is letting you know its fixing to stall if you don't cut it.

Latest posts