Thrush treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple L

Reaction score
We have a mare that has a thrush problem with her right front hoof. We bought some thrush med's and I was just wondering how long the treatment should go on ? This is our first time having a thrush problem.

Thanks in advance
Sam

Some Thrush is very stubborn so you want to make sure you get it all. I have used the Mastitis "Tomorrow or Today" every other day and the opposite days I used a fungicide. Sometimes it will take a month if it is really stubborn. I have heard that Clean Trax or White lightning ( not exactly sure of that name) is the best to get it all. Most importantly keep them clean and have the right hoof trim mechanics.
I like to soak in borax water before I use the treatment to have it as clean as I can so it gets in all the crevices.

:mad: We are having such mud issues that thrush is a problem.
I have had good luck with Koppertox and plain ole iodine.
Keeping them in some of the time in dry clean stalls helps, too.
I got my boots sucked off this am------ it is a quagmire! :x

I am keeping her in a stall for now with freash bedding. I'll plan on treating her for 10-14 days. I also heard that iodine and sugar paste will work. I hoping that will do the job, that thrush buster is pretty pricey.

Thanks again
Sam :lol:

Kopertox. If you don't have one get a hoof knife to keep the bad sole scraped (not cut) out and be generous with the stuff. One of the problems with Iodine is that it retards healing by killing healthy cells so past the initial few treatments you doing more harm then go using it.

If you have an ez-boot that will fit you can prolong the time between treatments by applying the Kopertox to the sole and to four or five gauze pads in the boot. The big thing is keeping the hoof clean and dry and the Ez-boot will help do that.Z

My SSH has the same problem. Our vet (very respected) reccommended that we get a ketchup squirter bottle and fill it with 1/10 bleach-water. He said pick her hooves out everyday and spray some of that in there. He didn't seem to think the other more expensive chemicals were worth using.