thrush?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
I just got a spotted saddle horse mare. Her previous owner told me that she is prone to thrush in her right front hoof. I was wondering if there is some sort of spray that I could buy at maybe like Tractor Supply that would prevent this. I only get time to pick her hooves out about once a week and I could spray them with some sort of fungicide or antiseptic. I was wondering what you guys would recommend?

You could try asking some local farmers or asking the previous owner or even just get her checked out by a vet and see what they say. Well good luck

Stockholm tar is a treatment for thrush, not sure if you can use it as a preventative?
Ask your vet.

Hillary_Indiana":3ug12k60 said:
I just got a spotted saddle horse mare. Her previous owner told me that she is prone to thrush in her right front hoof. I was wondering if there is some sort of spray that I could buy at maybe like Tractor Supply that would prevent this. I only get time to pick her hooves out about once a week and I could spray them with some sort of fungicide or antiseptic. I was wondering what you guys would recommend?

TSC carrys Kopertok, that will work or get some strong iodine, which is 7% also known as Tincture of Iodine. Pour the iodine in the cleft of the frog and make sure your farrier cleans out the cleft good and looks for thrush. If you have thrush than your farrier needs to get in there with a hoof knife and cut out the nasty tissue before you start treating.

Ray

We doctored a horse for a friend:

After Dad cut all the bad part out we Painted it with Bleach - then mixed "Tincture of Iodine and Pine Tar" and put it in the Frog - then we put a "BOOT" on the hoof being careful not to get the mixture on the Cornet Band (just in the frog)

No time stated just a full day or more - - I think we left it on for 2 days

After that Paint or just pour in Bleach every time you clean out the hoof/ride/every 2 days at least

The key is to keep the hooves clean of manure, not so much mud. I've heard it said that rusty hoof picks cause thrush, :eek: meaning they are not used enough.

The thrush bacteria is anerobic, meaning that the presence of good old oxygen kills it. Kopertox is good for thrush but be careful because it will create a water tight seal (thats good), but unless the area is 100% free of the bacteria, that seal will rid the area of oxygen and thats when the thrush goes wild. Iodine works, bleach works, and there are many other remedies. I have used most and found that peroxide is very effective and gentle. You have to get it into the crevices though, you can't just pour it on.

Another preventative measure is to keep a stiff bristled nylon brush handy. When you pick out the hoof (everyday) use the brush to get is totally clean.

kopertox will most likely get rid of the thrush...but its hard on the frog...in my experience...kopertox has made the frog harden and shrivel up...it makes the whole hoof seem to dry out...I wouldn't use it...too hard on the hooves in my opinion...a good cleaning and some 7% iodine will work just fine

we used Hoof flex thrush remedy to kill thrush, and use Perrys pro hoof to keep it away. jp

Keep the Paddock clean and squirt with Iodine when you pick. Our horses are kept out in pasture most of the time so they dont get picked as often as they should. We always squirt them with the iodine when we pick, about once a week. Maybe its not doing anything preventive, but we have never had a case of thrush in any horse we have owned for more than a short time after we got her.

Tea tree oil is all natural and it dries the area with the thrush and clears it up fast(1-2 days). You don't need a lot of it, just a small syringe, just enough to wet the grooves. It does not need to be done regularly, only when you see the thrush in the hoof. You can get it at a health food store :D Good Luck

Latest posts