Throw away calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411":2f9369ui said:
I've never seen a "dead pen" at our auction either, unless it's hid off way in the back or something. There was a sign posted for a while after the mad cow episode that is an animal was not mobile oe severly emancipated it could not be off loaded on acution barn premises. I noticed that this sign was not there anymore this weekend though.

So if there's a calf in the dead pen you can pick it up for free?

if she was severely emancipated, it would probably be pretty hard to get her to the salebarn. however, i think i have seen a few severely emancipated AT the salebarn. sometimes they emancipate themselves.

Crowderfarms":2qt7sqfa said:
msscamp":2qt7sqfa said:
Crowderfarms":2qt7sqfa said:
msscamp":2qt7sqfa said:
Medic, ya done good!! I hope the little guy makes you a fortune!

Crowder, that was terrible! :roll:
I'm sorry Msscamp.I'll make sure I do it again. Dolly and I are real good friends. Dolly Madison that is.

LOL You're an ok kind of guy, Crowder! :)
You Think?...Hang on, let me ask my Wife if it's OK for you and me to have supper together. (Pause) She said it would be fine, but just as long as I dont come back. :shock:

LOL

~
Good job Medic. Very good job.

Can you elaborate on the meds and support therapy you gave the calf to give him his second chance so we all can learn from your good deed please.

I also have never seen a dead pen up here in Vermont, but I did see a horrible pile of dead and dying holstein calves behind an auction yard/ buncher in New York State 3 years ago and the memory still haunts me.

I went to New Orleans 2 weeks ago just to liberate some of the suffering dogs and came back with 21 that were in poor condition, but are doing much better now with medical treatment, cooler weather and calm attention. There are thousands upon thousands more, starved and dying, still waiting for their owners to return. Very sad.

Its good to know that some animals find a good samaritan.

CowCop":1vil34k5 said:
~
I went to New Orleans 2 weeks ago just to liberate some of the suffering dogs and came back with 21 that were in poor condition, but are doing much better now with medical treatment, cooler weather and calm attention. There are thousands upon thousands more, starved and dying, still waiting for their owners to return. Very sad.

Its good to know that some animals find a good samaritan.

Way to go CowCop!! :D Excellent job!

Well, I experiment with different therapy's to be honest, as I know (as many of you do as well) from experience that one type of therapy does not work for all. This one is getting Nuflor via injection, and I would love to tell you it is also getting smz,as is usual, but it's not, I have resorted to an older, yet very reliable drug to be ingested orally, but is now 'off-label' for use in cattle. The one thing I always do with or without meds is to use a very good electrolyte formula such as Diaque or Deliver, to keep the fluids in and the scours from dehydrating the poor critter so bad. I think that is the most important part of treatment myself. And it will keep any orally ingested meds inside the gut longer for absorbtion! No homemade formula that I know of has a gelling action in it.

He seems to be doing pretty good so far! 8)

As far as a dead pen, it is where cattle, calves, that are accepted into the sale, but for some reason, they don't or won't make it either into the ring, or out the back to the new owners, either sickly and not noticed at unloading, or accidents occured in the sale barn for which I have seen several. Not long ago, they pushed a pen of feeders out and into the ailse to sell, and one was left in the pen dead with no apparent reason for the death.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, some folks just arent going to reload any cattle or calves back on the trailers for anything, even when they are rejected.Some folks being traders, and the animals may have been loaded for a long time, or several times and gotten sick or weak, or hurt on the trailer. and this was the final stop no matter what.

When it gets cold enuff, I will take any smaller ones that are dead to use as coyote bait, they sure should bring them around during the leaner months! ;-) :cboy:

Way to go Medic! I've taken a few of those myself. Some make it and some don't. But at least you gave it a chance. It always bothered me to hear that dairys would kill bull calves without just giving them away to someone who would take them. I don't think it happens here as much as it used to. keep us up on the little booger.

Nice story Medic! I'll start taking a little closer look around next time I'm at the sale barn. Post a picture when you get this calf good and fat.

Latest posts