Thoughts On This Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

brahma_show_girl

Reaction score
Okay this is my first steer JB. He is, of course, a black baldie. He is sired by a Reg. Angus and his dam is a Reg. Hereford. He was calved the end of September he weighs 430 lbs. He has only been off his mom 3 weeks and just started eating Show Calf Grower in the past week. He eats 20 lbs a day and gets a block of Sudan hay every night.

So what do you think of him?

JBButtShot.jpg

Bond.jpg

If the weight is right, he is running a bit light. At 6-7 months I'd like him to be well over 500 lbs, but anyway I think he will fill out nicely. Good Luck and keep us posted with pictures!!!!

CPL":6x2kj2yj said:
If the weight is right, he is running a bit light. At 6-7 months I'd like him to be well over 500 lbs, but anyway I think he will fill out nicely. Good Luck and keep us posted with pictures!!!!

His dam was most likely a bit light on milk, as soon as he is on good feed compensatory growth will soon make up the difference.

post back in a lfew months I would feed him all he could eat right now with a close watch that he is not gaining to much to quick, he is a little light

Has he been wormed, if not I would worm him with a good pour-on, and hit him with a good paste wormer the next time. Keep feeding him, working with him, and have fun.

I'm pretty sure the weight is right. We weighed him along with 3 other calves on truck scales that they use at scrap yards and gins. I was kinda disappointed because mine weighed the least out of all 4. We plan on weighing him again on Sunday. I will repost and tell yall how much he is gaining a day. He is small compared to the Angus his age that weigh 610lbs and then the two baldies a month younger than him that weighed 440 and 450. But he is eating better than all three of them. He has an appetite.

And yes, as far as I know, he is up to date all on vaccinations.

Thanks for all the comments. I will keep posting updates. :D :banana:

I think he is really balaned. He should fill out nicely. Keep us posted with pictures. I like watching them grow and look at differenes. :D

brahma_show_girl":39q4ycyh said:
Well I wanted to tell yall that my steer gained 10lbs last week. Is that good? He was hurt and didn't eat good for a couple of days.

You can't read too much into how much he gained in a single week, too many factors can play a role, getting adapted to the feed and the conditions, etc. After about three weeks he will gain according to potential and then it should be atleast double what he gained this week.