Thoughts on this Simmental Heifer...

Help Support CattleToday:

FFACOWGIRL

Reaction score
I have the option of buying this red simmental heifer. She was a June 07 calf. I plan to breed her August 08 and have her first calf by April 09. I would love to hear your thoughts. Pros? Cons? Possibe bulls to breed her with, Simmy or otherwise. Thank You for your opinions. I am still very new to this and would appreciate some experienced advice. Any and all coments!

Name Ideas Too!

Do you have the ability to have her AI'd. If so, Genex has a red Simental Bull his name is Winchester HR P8315 . He has a 16EPD for Calving ease and -2.3EPD for birthweight. You probably won't do better than that and his phenatype is excellant. Good luck she's a nice heifer.

she sure is a nice looking red simmie heifeer.if she is reg id keep breeding to reg simmie bulls.

Looks like a good young heifer too bad you didn't take a pic from behind her, but never the less she looks like the kind to do the job.

Good looking heifer. You are wanting to breed this heifer to calve at 22 months which is quite do-able, but I'd make it easier on her and breed her black or red Angus first time out. Yes, I know there are Simmental easy-calving bulls, but a little 65-75 lb Angus crossbred calf would probably be the best thing for this heifer in the long run. She has rest of her life to have that great Simmental calf for you.

Thank You for the comments. She will be AI'd. The person i am buying her from was planing on showing her at the Eastern States Exposition, Big E. She is not registered but if pure bred. My other question is that i plan to put her in with my three month simmy heifer. Are there any problems they may run into? We did have a veal calf but now the 3 month simmy is alone. She needs a friend. :wave: I am putting up pasture today and the red heifer wil come home when it is up. It will give them more room to become aquanted.

Andy Mc":2noqutkv said:
but I'd make it easier on her and breed her black or red Angus first time out. Yes, I know there are Simmental easy-calving bulls, but a little 65-75 lb Angus crossbred calf would probably be the best thing for this heifer in the long run.

:roll: :roll:

She's not a bad heifer though and if she registered I think she could be a good start for you. Good luck!

I am putting up pasture today and the red heifer wil come home when it is up. It will give them more room to become aquanted.

They might be ok together out in the pasture. If you decide to feed them you might have to tie them or keep them separate. The older heifer might not let the calf eat. Speak from experience I've seen it happen here on a occasion.

What does the heifer weigh? She looks light to me, depending on what you plan to feed her or your pasture quantity and quality, but make sure that she weighs about 750-800lbs before breeding her.

I breed exactly the same time as you do and I know there is still time, thought I'll just mention it.

To be honest, I don't know how any of the posters could make a comment on her appearance. Pics are too little. To me, she appears too small and light weight - but, again, it may be because the pic is so little. Do you have any idea how much she weighs???
You will definately have to grain feed her along with the grass if you expect her to calve at 22 months of age and you will need to feed her & the younger heifer seperate if you want the young heifer to get her fair share.
As Knersie said, she needs to weigh about 750-800# at breeding time. And will need to continue growing & maintain a body cond score of at least 6.

I am sorry about the pics. Itr took me forever to get them on the post.... and i have no idea why they are soooo samll. She probably wheighs about 400- 450. She was a small heifer when born but she has grown fast and is bigger than her other pasture mates. We got all the fencing up and she is comming on thursday!!! Yay! I'm not on a very strict schedual as to breeding and calving. Those were just rough estimates. If needed i will just breed her later around September to give her some more time to grow. I just dont want her to calve much into or after june because it gets quite hot in the summer. April or May would be a better calving time for me. Thanks for all the input. :tiphat:

I was afraid of that. If she is a June 07 heifer, she is about 1/2 the size she should be. If she is larger than her contemporaries, I would say they have not been grown out properly. Sorry, but I think you are buying trouble. But, if she is stunted from poor nutrition, you may be able to get her large enough to breed - eventually. When you get her, don't start her off on very much grain. Take it slow. 1% of her body weight/day, weekly building up to 3% of her body weight.

To give you some idea of proper weight, I have a 11-1 heifer, raised on mom's milk (first calf heifer) & baleage out in "the back 40". She weighed 410# on 3-8. She was 4 months old. Your heifer is 10 months old.

Latest posts