Thoughts on this grain

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
I found a new place to buy grain 16% protien it contains 1/3 dry distillers grain, the other 2/3 is soy hull pellets , corn gluten pellets, and cracked corn, . It's $210 a ton unless you buy 3 tons or more, then it's less expensive but I don't have that much feed storage space, so I didn't pay attention to the 3 ton price. 🤔 I'm wanting to use it to take bottle calves/lightweights to, slaughter weight to butcher, And I'm wanting you alls thoughts on it.??.

Hereford2 said:
I found a new place to buy grain 16% protien it contains 1/3 dry distillers grain, the other 2/3 is soy hull pellets , corn gluten pellets, and cracked corn, . It's $210 a ton unless you buy 3 tons or more, then it's less expensive but I don't have that much feed storage space, so I didn't pay attention to the 3 ton price. 🤔 I'm wanting to use it to take bottle calves/lightweights to, slaughter weight to butcher, And I'm wanting you alls thoughts on it.??.

That has the same ingredients as the ration that we are feeding but it has higher protein percent and more distillers grain than ours. It would seem ok to me to use for that purpose especially if the calves are going to be finished out.
As for storing the feed, we get 3 tons at a time and a average size gravity wagon is what we use.

Thank you for the information, That is less space than I thought it would take up. Have you ever had trouble with a calcium deficiency? From feeding the Distillers grain?

Hereford2 said:
Thank you for the information, That is less space than I thought it would take up. Have you ever had trouble with a calcium deficiency? From feeding the Distillers grain?

I haven't had any deficiency issues that I am aware of, though I believe your ration has a higher percentage of distillers grain than the one we are feeding. If it is a house blend so to speak then they probably sell quite a bit of it locally. If I were concerned about it your county agent may be able to answer some questions or point you to someone who could. Texasbred on here would know about that as well.

IMO-would think this ration should work fine for what you want to do. Just make sure they have adequate hay, grass or other roughage. Also probably need to feed loose mineral that has 2+:1, ca:phos ratio, not a 12:12 mineral like so many sell. Maybe look for a ddg balancer mineral.

that price sounds pretty good , im getting a similiar feed 14% texture feed for 200$ a ton delivered bulk, im getting some gluten feed in it and cottonseed , liking it so far,

Latest posts