Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this Gelbvieh bull. I was really impressed with his sons and am already thinking about my next bull purchase in about 3 years. By that time most all of my herd will be mature cows and I will be looking for mostly a terminal prospect but may want to retain a few heifers. Sorry about the clarity of the pic but I couldn't find a better one big enough so I had to blow this one up.

Edited to add 2008 epd's as well as his BW of 85lbs, 864lb WW and 1,421 lb yearling weight.

CE BW WW YW Milk TM GL CED SC CW REA MB DtF CV FM
EPD 104 2.7 65 109 15 48 -0.4 108 0.5 15 0.14 -0.01 5.5 18.66 9.63

3_06_copy1.jpg

he is 1 goodlooking bull thats for sure.i dont think you can go wrong using 1 of his sons.

I think he's a solid animal, but if you'd compare him to other AI sires out there (phenotypically) he shows some weaknesses. I think he could be more level over his top, deeper in both his front and rear flank, and smoother throughout his shoulders. Based on the picture I would expect him to be a cleanup/herd bull instead of an AI Sire. His WW and YW also scare and how that will affect his future daughters' cow herd efficiency. Do you have any pictures of his calves?

HOSS

This bull has alot to like about him. From his phenotype, a stacked pedigree, homo black and polled. Obviously has some excellent growth EPD's that put him in the top 1% of the breed for weaning and yearling weight. I have never used him, know of some people that have. They have been impressed with his calves. Grew well, but carcass quality was not there. This is the only reason I have never used him. He is in the bottom 30% for marbling, days to finish, and carcass value. He is slightly better in REA and CW, but not much.

If you are looking for a good Gelbvieh bull to breed to some british based cows, and you want something that will hit the ground growing, use this bull or a son of his. If you could find a son of his that has good carcass traits from the dam side, it could be a real whopper of a bull.

As a gelbvieh breeder, carcass quality is one of the most important things to me. As we all know, there is no one complete bull. This one brings a lot to the table, but he will not improve the carcass characteristics of your herd. However, if your cows have good traits for carcass quality, then I would think harder about using him or a son of his.

CPL":2vz0bvbu said:
I think he's a solid animal, but if you'd compare him to other AI sires out there (phenotypically) he shows some weaknesses. I think he could be more level over his top, deeper in both his front and rear flank, and smoother throughout his shoulders. Based on the picture I would expect him to be a cleanup/herd bull instead of an AI Sire. His WW and YW also scare and how that will affect his future daughters' cow herd efficiency. Do you have any pictures of his calves?

I don't have any pics of his calves but saw several at a breeder and actually bought one of the 14 month old bull calves that he had from this bull. It turned out that his semen quality was not adequate enough to meet the program standards that I was enrolled in through the state agricultural enhancement program so I returned him for another bull choice. I was very impressed with the phenotype of the calf as well as the EPD's. The calf's dam had a very low BW number that brough the calves down to acceptable for heifers.

EAT BEEF":1vojbvw0 said:
What is it you like about him besides his growth epd's?

To me he shows more than adequate muscling, a smallish head (comparably), in the original pic he appears longer. I like his hindquarters also. On top of that I have seen his calves and they are rather impressive. I feel that his sons (if from an acceptable dam) would be a herd improver. I really like the cross of the Gelbvieh on angus cows and around here muscular calves sell well at the feeder calf sales.

On second thought I do have a pic of a 101 calf. This is the bull calf that I refer to in my above post that had the semen issue. He is 14 months old in this pic. Not the best pic because I took it with my cell phone.

0107081512.jpg

HOSS":2o6b38df said:
EAT BEEF":2o6b38df said:

To me he shows more than adequate muscling, a smallish head (comparably), in the original pic he appears longer. I like his hindquarters also. On top of that I have seen his calves and they are rather impressive. I feel that his sons (if from an acceptable dam) would be a herd improver. I really like the cross of the Gelbvieh on angus cows and around here muscular calves sell well at the feeder calf sales.

Gelbvieh and angus cross is one of the best, IMO. Have you ever seen any of this bulls sons? http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/gelbvieh.asp?CodTouro=137GV2930

Fortune is a little light in the rear, but I have used him, and have seen several of his sons' sell. All good cattle. He also works to keep heifers out of him. Milk, DCE and stayability EPD are all good. He will not sacrifice very much growth, if any, while bringing possibly the best set of carcass EPD's available. Just my two cents.

bandit80":2kce0khy said:
HOSS":2kce0khy said:
EAT BEEF":2kce0khy said:

Gelbvieh and angus cross is one of the best, IMO. Have you ever seen any of this bulls sons? http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/gelbvieh.asp?CodTouro=137GV2930

Fortune is a little light in the rear, but I have used him, and have seen several of his sons' sell. All good cattle. He also works to keep heifers out of him. Milk, DCE and stayability EPD are all good. He will not sacrifice very much growth, if any, while bringing possibly the best set of carcass EPD's available. Just my two cents.

Bandit, that is a heck of a bull. I will definetly keep him in mind. The more I look and read about the Gelbvieh breed the better I like them. :cboy:

HOSS

I have seen many of Fortune's sons sell through the Seedstock Plus bull sales. Collectively, they have been good bulls, and ultrasound data has been very good.

Hoss
I just bought 3 half sisters to this bull a couple of months ago. They are very nice heifers and show a lot of potential. The only real downside I see are his marbling numbers. If yu are breeding him to Angus cows that should mitigate that issue. He is out of a Bull Atlas 712 that is considered to be very good for calving ease. I sure don't think he will hurt you. Good luck.

Good looking bull Hoss, but like most breeds today he lost his color along the way. He has already got some angus in him to turn him black to be homo black takes a little more seems to me you lose a little of what you are using him for.

Red Bull Breeder":1qj9viuv said:
Good looking bull Hoss, but like most breeds today he lost his color along the way. He has already got some angus in him to turn him black to be homo black takes a little more seems to me you lose a little of what you are using him for.

He's 6% Angus. How the heck does that make him lose the heterozygus growth factor. We need to be sure before we make these kind of statements. Nothing against you Red Bull Breeder. I personally like the Red ones better myself but right is right.

3way alot depends on how the breed Ass. figures the precentages, not saying they do because i don't no how Gelbveih dose theres. But Most of the homo black Limi are about 12 to 14 precent angus and that will begin to cut into heterous. And i think that most breeds are turning a blind eye to actual precentages to look like a angus. Just how i think it is and that sure don't make me right.

TNMasterBeefProducer said:
The weaning weight on that carolina fortune bull aint worth a shat.

Why would you say that??

Yes it was only 593 lbs. I would guess that if every single calf in every single herd all weighed that at 205, everyone would be happy. Then again, maybe not. Sire selection is not all about the highest weaning weights either. It is about finding a bull that best suits your needs, and will improve your herd. If you want to fault this particular bull because of that one trait, then fine. However, he brings a very balanced set of EPD's covering all aspects from birth to dinner plate. He will improve the carcass traits of most herds, and if crossed with cows who already have carcass bred in, you will have some fast growing calves that hang a valuable carcass. If you look closely, his 365 day weight was 1,476. Some quick math tells you his ADG from 205 to 365 days of age was 5.51 lbs/day. That is pretty good in my book.

I won't stop using him because of that.

If you look closely, his 365 day weight was 1,476. Some quick math tells you his ADG from 205 to 365 days of age was 5.51 lbs/day. That is pretty good in my book.

That also indicates the likelihood of compensatory gain meaning that he was raised from birth to weaning in less than ideal conditions. I dare say that was just whatever grass there was and his dam's milk.

It changes everything slightly don't you think?

TNMasterBeefProducer":3k84kwpa said:
bandit80":3k84kwpa said:

• Cuz anything that weans under 600 pounds on my farm at 205 days will not stay. No if's ands or buts. I do not care how good they look
. Granted that is a good weaning date to yearling weight spread but still the weaning weight scares me. My main herd bull weaned at 663 on mother's milk and grass and was a fall calf. My new bull that I am breeding the main herd bull's heifer to weaned at 205 days at 777 off mother's milk and grass and he was a january calf.
i can see some point in this . but it wouldnt be my only criteria you will gradually start to get your cow size to big over time

Latest posts