Thoughts on this Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this bull. Looking to buy hereford. He is 14 months, 1350 pounds. No history. The guy has owned him for 6 months. Not registered.

He's got some good pieces and nice type, but looking at his structure I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled a bit on his front end. I would have to see him walk before I made my mind up. 1350 at 14 months, he sure was pushed hard for a bull with no papers. Has he had him on a self feeder??

ricebeltrancher":fjodo7b3 said:
He's got some good pieces and nice type, but looking at his structure I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled a bit on his front end. I would have to see him walk before I made my mind up. 1350 at 14 months, he sure was pushed hard for a bull with no papers. Has he had him on a self feeder??
I didnt ask him. This guy said he is in semen sales somewhere in Elgin Tx. He said he has some better herefords then this he is going to use. I have never heard of people selling non registered semen but this hereford looked pretty beefy. I wont buy without a fertility guarantee. He is a little young but I dont want to end uo with a $1000 in steaks. Want to put him on my brangus and the brahman.

ricebeltrancher":2pqofukh said:
But he is a little short legged up front.

I think I found it. For about $1000 more I can get one of these guys registered out of the Domino blood line. Its like comparing apples to oranges. Only 3 hours away.

Think I like the horned ones better, and you have some to choose from.

Yeah, that 1st one is dehorned. In the picture with the 4 walking away he said the middle 2 were polled. With butts that big I would have 3 of those on my place for sure. He said those are his A- commercial bulls. I cant afford the A+ top of the line bulls. He sells those at the shows and special sales. But everything is registered and fertility tested and then retested 3 months later. Sounds good so far.

BK are those W-4 bulls??? Ran a horned hereford with brangus for a while. Only had one horned calf over two years.

TexasBred":22dto858 said:
BK are those W-4 bulls??? Ran a horned hereford with brangus for a while. Only had one horned calf over two years.
Those are coming off of the Rocking Chair Ranch. I have a herereford and Tigerstripe but all the rest of my cows are black angus and brangus. With this registered bull I will streamline all the girls for the calves to be uniform.

Muddy":384684fk said:
Yeah but he will dealing with horned calves.
The 2 middle bulls in the picture walking away are polled. They have both. He has over a 100 bulls for sale. I think about 60 in the 14-16 month old range. The ones in the pictures are 2 year olds.

It seems that you are looking for a Hereford bull BK based off your recent posts and the best advice I have is find a bull that fits the type you are looking for and not focus so much on the asking price. There is a reason someone will sell a bull at a discount price and you have to look at what you want as an end result. You may have to pay a little more more than you want to for a good bull but if that bull sires calves that pack on the pounds you need then he's well worth the investment. A "budget bull" is probably going to sire poor performing calves so you have to consider if spending less on a bull that doesn't meet the criteria you are looking for that might sire calves that don't perform well or if spending a little more than you want to on a better bull that probably will sire better performing calves and will make up for the difference in price that you had to pay.

SPH":2uufsa43 said:
It seems that you are looking for a Hereford bull BK based off your recent posts and the best advice I have is find a bull that fits the type you are looking for and not focus so much on the asking price. There is a reason someone will sell a bull at a discount price and you have to look at what you want as an end result. You may have to pay a little more more than you want to for a good bull but if that bull sires calves that pack on the pounds you need then he's well worth the investment. A "budget bull" is probably going to sire poor performing calves so you have to consider if spending less on a bull that doesn't meet the criteria you are looking for that might sire calves that don't perform well or if spending a little more than you want to on a better bull that probably will sire better performing calves and will make up for the difference in price that you had to pay.
Its a fine line, I cant break the bank, there is a max I can pay, but I HAVE to have a bull that packs pounds on calves. That first one in this post will not. I am going to have to go the extra bucks and buy registered, from a proven breeder, but just not a $12,000 bull. The younger bulls are better for me which means more years of service. The bulls I am looking at are in the $3000's and up and with all of the "established" breeders I have spoken with so far that is about the starting point. When I go to this place and walk through the group 60 bulls, I will have to make the best choice I can. Said they are all pretty gentle. I need something that later if I crossed with brahman it would make a great F-1 Tigerstrip. Right now will be great black baldies. My origional goal was to have a hereford bull when I started out. Deciding now is the time. My brangus bull has served his purpose. He is leaving next week.

Those A- Rocking Chair bulls look really nice from those pictures. It sounds like they are very thorough on production and fertility testing, and I'm sure would stand behind anything they sell. Seems like a sound decision for your goal of baldies now and Brafords down the road.

Sounds like you have a plan. I apologize if I sounded too harsh, it was late at night and I probably didn't state what I meant as clearly as I wanted too. I wasn't implying you break the bank on a bull, I wonder myself how people can make money when they spend that much on a bull. For the type o budget it sounds like you have you should be able to find what you are looking for.

SPH":2e5yyn6g said:
Sounds like you have a plan. I apologize if I sounded too harsh, it was late at night and I probably didn't state what I meant as clearly as I wanted too. I wasn't implying you break the bank on a bull, I wonder myself how people can make money when they spend that much on a bull. For the type o budget it sounds like you have you should be able to find what you are looking for.
No not harsh at all, some guys on this site can be HARSH but I would not say that about you. After putting the registered in a professional breeding program and non side by side its like night and day. I think the ones from the Rocking Chair Ranch will do great. Here is the website. See what I am looking at.

http://therockingchairranch.com/

SPH":3v9x9lfx said:
Yeah with being a guy with kids about to put kids through college in and saving money to buy my uncles out of the family ranch, I have to be wise on finances. Coming up with 20% of $250000 in 2 years with nothing in the bank is not an easy task. If I can get a good bull under $4000 and reap the benefits of the calves, it might work. I dont want to have to sell my whole herd to come up with the down payment.

I think you are going in the right direction. We have two polled bulls we've been using on our Brangus for the last 2 years and I think that's the best outcross you can make with them. I would pay particular attention to bone when you pick out a bull. That's one thing that most Brangus cows could use a little more of, and it will pay off big time if you sell any replacement heifers out of that cross. A fancy square hip is another plus, but not quite as important if your cows are pretty nice. Good luck finding the right one!

Latest posts