thoughts on the derby

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
geez the uproar over that belle horse being put down....

terrible thing for sure but now theyre talkin on the radio about bannin horse racing..or restrctin it...the paper even said horses should not be raced because a 1000lb animal on those skinny legs just isnt built for racing...i swear that was in an editorial in sports....unbelievable

shame they had to do that for the horse and the owner but my god...is everything in this entire world such a catastrophe that has to regulated out of existance because it isnt the way everyone wants it to be......

i guess i just hate that kinda meddling....myob in my life..doesnt affect me so im not gonna worry about it but some people is all they got to do

with this uproar going on they are going to kill the racetrack business.but those people need to remember race horses are bred to run.an they love to run.heck a horse can break a leg or an ankle just running in their pasture.they can break them by slipping in the mudd or wett grass an falling.man i just dont get it accadents happen.

dieselbeef":203xc0hq said:
geez the uproar over that belle horse being put down....

terrible thing for sure but now theyre talkin on the radio about bannin horse racing..or restrctin it...the paper even said horses should not be raced because a 1000lb animal on those skinny legs just isnt built for racing...i swear that was in an editorial in sports....unbelievable

shame they had to do that for the horse and the owner but my god...is everything in this entire world such a catastrophe that has to regulated out of existance because it isnt the way everyone wants it to be......

i guess i just hate that kinda meddling....myob in my life..doesnt affect me so im not gonna worry about it but some people is all they got to do

Diesel I agree with you except for one thing, as you stated on an another thread concerning cattle. "We mess with them too much" We raced quarter horses for almost 10 years and the number one criteria we had for breeding was how do we make this horse faster. Sure there is a lot of lip service given to having a sound horse but in the end it's all about the speed. Having said that I think it's just like a lot of other stuff in this country. There's always some ignorant well intentioned jerk sitting in his Urban apartment on the internet with his friends looking for the next great cause. This issue is taylormade for the PETA crowd since it only costs OTHER people money and time, never them. Then at the end of the day they all sit around on their smug rear ends and congratulate each other on how they saved another whale

Yep, PETA jumped on this right away from what I hear. They will run with it for as long as it gets them attention.

Personally, I'm not convinced a 2-3YO is developed enough for this type racing. I wouldn't be opposed to putting a 4 YO limit on it if it would help. Just thinking out loud here.

Diesel, guess you heard huh? The Nutz have to come off. Figures our great elected officials can do this but can't pass a law to keep cell phones out of women's ears while driving.

It is still fresh on everyone's mind DB. My guess is they'll have something else to harp on really soon and this will go just like the big Y2K scare.

Yes it was bad. I don't think the owner/ breeder/trainer or anyone else had this in mind. Just a bad accident and the horse didn't suffer for hours and hours like it would have out in the wild or back in the back pasture. I think the decision made was a humane one.

That filly loved to run. She lived to run and gave all she could to run. She died loving what she was doing. I hope I go the same way.

L.A.":2lazlfqb said:
That filly loved to run. She lived to run and gave all she could to run. She died loving what she was doing. I hope I go the same way.

As id Ruffian.
On the news some vet for the thorughbred racing assocition came up with a figure of how many horses have to be put down for the number of races run in the US. Comes to 2 per day according to him.

id be shocked if that was the case...seems really high. 700/yr to run how many races??dont follow horses dont know)

Accidents happen and don't I know it. A friend had his horse here at our place and it slipped and fell. The horse broke his leg just below the shoulder. It had happened during the night, found him the next morning, he would not come down to us. As soon as I found that his leg was possibly broke, first call went to their vet second went to them. The horse had to be put down. We felt really bad because it happened on our place, but it was not something that could be avoided.

flaboy I have been missed by GUYS driving with cell phones glued to their ears so that one goes both ways. I hate it when I have to use my cell phone while driving, like calling in a reckless driver.

I luv herfrds":lg3viro9 said:
flaboy I have been missed by GUYS driving with cell phones glued to their ears so that one goes both ways. I hate it when I have to use my cell phone while driving, like calling in a reckless driver.

I may not have politically correct with "women" but I sure do see 10X women on the things then men while driving. I see them coming out of work parking lots with the phone stuck in their ear. Now I ask, what is so important that call couldn't wait till they got home or couldn't the call have been made before they started driving?

I guess you could say this is a pet peeve of mine. Saw a woman in an Expedition jump a concrete median with all 4 wheels because she cut too sharp making a turn. She NEVER moved that cell phone from her ear though. :mad:

Heard somewhere that the Belle horse sire and grandsire were both put down because of leg problems-- Any way to check if that's for real?

peta aren't they that same bunch who started that rumor that kentucky fried was raising chickens with seven legs an no heads lol. i asked "well how the hell do they feed them?" vegan person stated to me that they fed them all with i.v. lol. i said to her well i hope the seven legged, no headed chickens are equipped with arses. i left her sputtering where she stood. true story.

Missed getting hit head on by a game warden who was busy yakking on his phone and the same with a woman too.

Latest posts