Thoughts on Mortality

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
At what age do we realize we will never be able to accomplish and finish the projects that we laid out. I am getting to the age that I think about it a lot. Things that come to mind is what have I accomplished and why did I accomplish what I did and did it benefit me greatly or not. I realize I am but a tiny speck in this world and realize that I can be here one day and gone the next. Has the world and peoples lives benefited by me being born and being part of it? To deep for my mortal mind to comprehend. How many years will it take for people I know and knew me not remember my existence at all. Will any one visit my grave and remember me on that thought, who knows and who cares. On these thoughts I remember a story about a man that died. This man was being discussed on what he was and what he accomplished by the group at the feed store and had come to the conclusion that they could not come up with anything of value to say about him. Joe Blow walked in and they asked him about the man and was there any thing he could think of that was great about him. Joe thought about it for a few minutes and He said that the man was the best whistler he every heard.

hurleyjd said:
At what age do we realize we will never be able to accomplish and finish the projects that we laid out. I am getting to the age that I think about it a lot. Things that come to mind is what have I accomplished and why did I accomplish what I did and did it benefit me greatly or not. I realize I am but a tiny speck in this world and realize that I can be here one day and gone the next. Has the world and peoples lives benefited by me being born and being part of it? To deep for my mortal mind to comprehend. How many years will it take for people I know and knew me not remember my existence at all. Will any one visit my grave and remember me on that thought, who knows and who cares. On these thoughts I remember a story about a man that died. This man was being discussed on what he was and what he accomplished by the group at the feed store and had come to the conclusion that they could not come up with anything of value to say about him. Joe Blow walked in and they asked him about the man and was there any thing he could think of that was great about him. Joe thought about it for a few minutes and He said that the man was the best whistler he every heard.

Man is not truly dead until he is forgotten. That's why I want to go at 92 by a jealous husband of a 30 year old bomb shell. Figure they will talk about that for the next fifty years at the dead pecker bench at the barbershop and feed store.

I thought this was going to be about livestock mortality.

I think mortality has always affected my life. I remember thinking that 50 was old. I remember sitting in a dorm room philosophizing about mortality. The consensus was that if we lived to be about 50 to 60, we would have satisfied our goals and dreams.

At 68, my objectives and goal are drastically different. I don't have any monetary or possession goals. My main goal is contentment and peace. I treat myself to pleasures that I once did not. I have only one offspring. He is well positioned for a prosperous life, thus, I have no worries.

I don't think long term. The world's problems are no longer a concern. I cannot contribute to their resolution and they probably will not cause me any grieve under my current life style.

After I die, I am just going to be dead for an awful long time so I don't concern myself with leaving a legacy.

Back I'm the day I had a bumper sticker on my truck that read "40 isn't old if your a tree" I like guns and every time I see one of my pop's guns I think about him. I see no reason why my kids won't think the same way, if their free to.

I haven't much pondered on mortality since I was a young man and sure won't go reflecting on what I did NOT get done.
"Oh Death, where is thy sting?"

At a funeral a man being buried in a brand new high priced Mercedes. Someone in the crowd attending was heard to say "Man that is living"

I think about it often. What am I chasing? What is my end goal? Have I done anything to make the world better? Have I done enough to make the world better? And so on. I have lots of unanswered questions. But my faith is helping me to slowly find the answers and reevaluate a lot of things.

hurleyjd said:
Has the world and peoples lives benefited by me being born and being part of it? To deep for my mortal mind to comprehend. How many years will it take for people I know and knew me not remember my existence at all.
Does that truely matter? People worry way too much about what other people think of them.

Think one should live their lives for themselves and I don't mean by being selfish and egotistical. You can not live for others without living for yourself first. Ultimately, if you are living for yourself and feel a sense of satisfaction by what you do, be it charity work, raising a family or whatever, that's what counts. Be a good person, do the best you can...don't disappoint 'you'. If you find yourself thinking about mortality ask yourself this question...what would I do if I only had 10 days left to live...or 10 minutes? :shock: ;-)

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Aaron said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Just as long as you leave me that new truck all will be well.

And if you don't live long enough to see that day, I will gladly be the back-up beneficiary.

Deal!

I would watch my back TT, Aaron is a pretty mean looking dude with a mugshot. He may decide he wants that truck sooner rather than later.

sim.-ang.king said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Aaron said:
And if you don't live long enough to see that day, I will gladly be the back-up beneficiary.

Deal!

I would watch my back TT, Aaron is a pretty mean looking dude with a mugshot. He may decide he wants that truck sooner rather than later.

I bet he's a real cup cake when ya get to know him. You go first.

Thoughts on Mortality is I hope I go out like a light bulb. After several visits to nursing homes it seems almost like the living dead. I have seen people live a lot of years in bad shape with a lot of suffering and I wouldn't wish that for anybody.

My thoughts on mortality. It is what it is and there's no sense in wasting time thinking about it

sim.-ang.king said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Aaron said:

This is the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. I don't get out much

Latest posts