Thoughts on cow eye issue

Help Support CattleToday:

etmountianman71

Reaction score
Question for the multitude.
First off, I have called the Vet and spoke with them by sending pics, and will have a follow up.
I have a cow and two heifers that showed up with some type of skin issue around their eyes and one on the forehead. This started about a two weeks ago when we got hit with a real cold snap in east TN. I first thought it was frost bite, but after seeing that it is not going away but getting worse I was able to take a closer look.
1.This was a white ring around the eye and is showing spots of moving outward. The other heifer had the spot in the middle of the forehead.
2.No visible sores, eye leakage, rubbing, or bugs.
3.No visible sickness or change of habits (eating or drinking).
20150226_6.jpg

20150226_5.jpg

20150226_3.jpg

I am not sure if this is Lice / Mite or Ringworm.

It looks like ringworm to me. If I was keeping them, I would just let it run it's course. If I was selling them, I'd just take my dock. That stuff is like preaching to sinners. You can't get em all

Definitely ringworm, and just let it work its course. We have figured out if they have had it once, they will not likely get it again.

I have cows at two different farms right now. The cows at my house several of them have ring worm but none of the cows at the other farm has it. Same thing happen last year wonder why?

Thanks everyone. The more research I did after posting this I concur. I was going to put some topical cream on them for fungus. I will be keeping them for sure, only have some calves not infected (that i know of) to sell. Funny thing is I had planned on catching them up two weeks ago before the snow hit to separate the calves, and I guess i would not have been as worried. LOL. That is the way it goes. Fun life in the cattle business.

Thanks again.

If you put fungus cream on it'll get better in a couple of weeks; if you don't, it'll probably take about fourteen days. ;-)

I had ringworm go through my whole herd a few years ago after not seeing it for ten years. Closed herd, no incursions from trespassing neighbor animals, so I don't know how it got in - I think I read hedgehogs can carry the bovine variety, but don't really know. It hit nearly every animal over a couple of months and they looked really bad - although some were really entertainingly spotted for a while. The calves went to sale looking a bit moth-eaten, but prices are so variable here it was hard to tell if I got hit for that. I haven't seen it again since and presumably the herd immunity is now pretty good.

Just remember that ringworm is contagious to humans as well. Wear gloves if you are going to play with the sores...

Koffi Babone":38by6loy said:
Just remember that ringworm is contagious to humans as well. Wear gloves if you are going to play with the sores...
That's another bit of information people usually bring up. Do we know it's true? I carried on stroking and brushing and handling my cattle all the way through that and earlier outbreaks and never had ringworm myself. Perhaps most of us come in contact with it as children and have immunity now, or maybe the varying types of ringworm are species-specific.

Putangitangi":1js1l3m0 said:
Koffi Babone":1js1l3m0 said:
That's another bit of information people usually bring up. Do we know it's true? I carried on stroking and brushing and handling my cattle all the way through that and earlier outbreaks and never had ringworm myself. Perhaps most of us come in contact with it as children and have immunity now, or maybe the varying types of ringworm are species-specific.
I use anti fungals on my cows for it, because they are being shown. The washes and the solutions clear it up really well. Though it does take a bit for the hair to grow in. I to have never gotten it from the cattle, but probably because I am in the anti fungal shampoos constantly during that time.
If I wasn't showing, I wouldn't treat it. I would just let it run it's course.

Putangitangi":3jm8uhds said:
Koffi Babone":3jm8uhds said:

We know it is true. My father had it as a child, he said it went in for two months, he had it on the head were men get bald, there was a spot with less hair were he had the ringworm, until he was in his late fifties were the "bald" spot was incorporated in his bald spot. :)
It is contagious, it just is not that contagious, most people who are in contact with ringworm do not get it.

Koffi Babone":3p8012lh said:
Is Ringworm zoonotic?

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/integum ... orm&alt=sh

Please refer to the last sentence.

I have seen the workings of this vaccine, it is live allright, but not so attenuated. Sometimes the inoculation makes a new little epidemic, usually a mild version. There are several different strains of ringworm BTW.

ANAZAZI":334rxv2i said:
Koffi Babone":334rxv2i said:
Is Ringworm zoonotic?

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/integum ... orm&alt=sh

Please refer to the last sentence.

I have seen the workings of this vaccine, it is live allright, but not so attenuated. Sometimes the inoculation makes a new little epidemic, usually a mild version. There are several different strains of ringworm BTW.

Yes, there are different species of ringworm. The first sentence of the reference specifies this.

I personally know ringworm is contagious, got a spot on my belly about the size of a quarter. Came along right after I noticed it on my hereford. :roll:

Treated the cows with lime sulfur and me with antifungal cream. We're all better now.

Putangitangi":ams74wvp said:
If you put fungus cream on it'll get better in a couple of weeks; if you don't, it'll probably take about fourteen days. ;-)

Now that is funny.
I know it has not affected their eating habits, liked to have not got the hay in the feeder today. Poor things act like their a kid in the candy store.

Me and my brother both used to get it as kids. Our mother treated it with juice from walnut hulls. Not sure if it cured it, but it seemed to. I'm sure an antifungal cream would be a better choice.

Latest posts