Thought everyone might find this interesting

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar p

Reaction score
Horse Exports to Mexico for Slaughter Up 300-Percent
USAgNet - 01/15/2008

Ever since the last three remaining horse slaughter operations in the United States were ordered closed last year, the number of horses exported to Mexico for slaughter has increased, according to the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. MeatPoultry.com reports that as of Dec. 20, 2007, 44,475 horses had been shipped to Mexico for processing for human consumption compared with 10,783 shipped during the same time in 2006--a 312% increase.

Given the high volume of American horses slaughtered annually when the U.S. horse meat processing companies were open, a spike in U.S. equine exports to Mexico was expected once they closed. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a total of 138,206 American horses were processed in 2006. Of those, 102,260 were sent to U.S. facilities, 24,866 to Canadian facilities and 11,080 to Mexican facilities.

But a fourfold increase in U.S. equine exports to Mexico, fueled by a growing surplus of unwanted horses at home and a high demand for horse meat abroad, still came as a surprise to some, according to the article.

"These are just remarkable numbers and not something I think any of us would have anticipated, even with the closing of the plants," said Dr. Timothy Cordes, senior staff veterinarian for equine programs with the U.S.D.A. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

The U.S.D.A. estimated 35,000 horses were sent to Canada for slaughter in 2007, a 40% increase from the year before. Horse slaughter opponents are lobbying for the creation and passage of a Canadian version of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act in an effort to close horse slaughter facilities in that country as well.

Also in the "no sh*t, sherlock" department:

Widespread horse abuse making headlines
The closing of horse slaughter facilities in the United States has led to increased cases of abuse, according to the Animal Agriculture Alliance. In the past few months, major media outlets across the country have reported cases of horse abuse and neglect in at least nine states. "This sad state of affairs is the direct result of the anti-horse-slaughter movement, piloted by the vegan-led Humane Society of the United States and other animal rights organizations,'' says Kay Johnson-Smith, executive vice president of the Alliance. These groups, she adds, claim to care about animal welfare while ignoring or denying the results of their actions, leaving under-funded local animal rescue operations to save animals. For more information, go to http://www.drovers.com.

I think we have 2 horse slaughter plants in Canada---I just sent 2 horses to a sale one went for meat and one went to someone who wanted it for a rideing horse --got 55 cents a pound for the one that went for meat --got 40 cents a pound for the one that went to be rode

carl

I am not surprised at all with those numbers. The lawmakers and the public has got to stop thinking with their hearts on the subject of horse slaughter and start thinking with their heads. It is just not economically feasible to ban horse slaughter in the U.S., right now. I support horse slaughter because it is a necessary part of the horse business, however, I would be happy to back a reasonable plan of supporting those horses that were going to be slaughtered but are now everyone's problem. So far I haven't heard any good long term plan just band aid plans. This is just my opinion.

We have a big National Forest down here where it seems folks are taking their horses and letting them go. Wait till they start bouncing off the hoods of cars.

I can't believe we have such idiots "in charge". :mad:

Latest posts