Those little things

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Not the little things that pizz you off but what are the little insignificant things that make your day.

Mine is a little 8 oz tin cup filled with cold milk at the end of a hot day in the field. I don't know what it is about this cup but it just seems to make the milk colder and milk drunk from it just seems to cool my core temperature.

Jogeephus":1ha3fehc said:
Not the little things that pizz you off but what are the little insignificant things that make your day.

Mine is a little 8 oz tin cup filled with cold milk at the end of a hot day in the field. I don't know what it is about this cup but it just seems to make the milk colder and milk drunk from it just seems to cool my core temperature.

No matter what the weather - rain, snow, winter, summer - standing on the covered front deck in our field or barn clothes, minus 30 or plus 90 - having coffee with the wife as we decide who will do what that day

Bez__

After a long day at work and This Time of the year about sunset setting in the field in the old jeep with cows knee deep in grass and the curious calves getting as close as their nerves will let them. It just pushes all thoughts away and gives me a peace that my world is good.

Many pretty afternoons, me and the kids carry our supper up in the tree house to it. It's such a simple thing, but we really enjoy it. They treat me like a guest in their home, and I feel like a kid again. Tonight we had a watermelon. We passed around a rind, and made teeth imprints in it to see who was missing the most teeth. I came in second.

For me, it's being able to actually see what I have gotten done, the physical work, looking at my work and saying oh yea!. I just can't get that when I'm working the books or on the phone with an idiot 19 yr old on the other end of the 1-800 number.

Good question, needed that today. :tiphat:

This is a great thread Jo.

With me it's not any routine that I do everyday but it's discovering something new everyday. Between my full time job as a forester and my part time job of cattle I am blessed to spend most of my time outdoors. I find my joy in seeing Gods great creation. Mighty live oaks spreading their limbs, a frosty morning, a 30 thousand foot high thunder head boiling up from the gulf seen from 100 miles away or the milkyway on a cloudless night. But it's often the small things that bring the most awe. A dragon fly, a wild flower, a bird, a flickering lighting bug, a new born calf or a single point of light representing some distant star in that big old milkyway. Sometimes it's the sounds like a wild turkey gobbling, the wind singing in the pines or a green frog croaking down in the creek. The smell of a magnolia blossom or a fresh mowed hay field. These are just a few of the things that God uses every day to let me know that no matter how crazy this world gets it still belongs to Him and He's still in control and through that I find peace in the storms of life.

Jogeephus":28f25ns9 said:

It's actually the little things that pizz me off that make my day.

The little things . Hmm
Having a GOOD day , a day without worry or other peoples (mostly families) BS .

Going away even for a weekend and then coming home , seeing my pets , and enjoying everything that makes my home a home .

M5farm":2owceprz said:
After a long day at work and This Time of the year about sunset setting in the field in the old jeep with cows knee deep in grass and the curious calves getting as close as their nerves will let them. It just pushes all thoughts away and gives me a peace that my world is good.

I do the same thing except sitting on the tailgate of the truck and scratch the heads on the tame cows and calves until the bull aggravates me enough that I will have to go dump him some pellets in the trough. Dam bull will rub his head on the fenders, mirrors and then my legs hanging off the tailgate...that's what I get for making pets out of them!

That first 30-45 minutes every morning when I get my coffee and go out on the back patio and just sit in the dark, pet my dog and enjoy the coffee and a good smoke, listen to the sounds and try to not really dwell on anything other than that great feeling.

TexasBred said:
That first 30-45 minutes every morning when I get my coffee and go out on the back patio and just sit in the dark, pet my dog and enjoy the coffee and a good smoke, listen to the sounds and try to not really dwell on anything other than that great feeling.[/quot

And swat the mosquitos.

TexasBred":2ro3yetn said:
That first 30-45 minutes every morning when I get my coffee and go out on the back patio and just sit in the dark, pet my dog and enjoy the coffee and a good smoke, listen to the sounds and try to not really dwell on anything other than that great feeling.

Get here around 5:30-6am, and that's where you'lll find me-- doing the same thing, and watching the cows and wondering "who and what I can irritate today?". I'll have the coffee ready but you'll have to bring your own smokes--I'll need all mine.
(best call first--sometimes I sit out there in my underwear--the electric meter reader girl will affirm, you really don't want to see that)

TexasBred":18q55oot said:

The only thing I miss about smoking. That first one in the morning with coffee was perfect.

Due to recent back problems, mine would be sitting in the hot tub with a nice cold beverage and listening to the birds or coyotes.

So many. Watching the redwing blackbirds at the pond. Having a cold one with our neighbors and
counting our blessings. A hug from my adult kids. A good bonfire doesn't hurt, either. With marshmallows.

My little thing is sitting on my deck listening to my surroundings in the summer.. Fall/Winter my thing is sitting in front of the fireplace and hearing the popping and crackle. It may sound weird but sitting on the couch with TV off and hearing my kids run through the house and interact with one another and my grandmother is a great sound to me. Great post Jo

Rocking my son to sleep at night. Now how much I need to get done at home I always make time for this. There is not a more peacefull feeling than your child asleep on your chest.

hillbilly beef man":4zxc5wzv said:
Rocking my son to sleep at night. Now how much I need to get done at home I always make time for this. There is not a more peacefull feeling than your child asleep on your chest.
I miss those days and nights.
But at the same time ill say the best time as a parent is before they can talk. Once they can talk it's all downhill. Half kidding half serious.

Latest posts