This years calf growth...

Help Support CattleToday:

Putangitangi

Reaction score
Nearly always. Unless a heifer does a very poor job with her first, I know her production will really kick in the next year. Occasionally a heifer will have lots of milk in her first year, but that's rare in my herd.

Do it poorly in the second year as well and you're off!

cowgirl8":1m704rjw said:
Always.....specially with commercial cattle..
:shock:

It doesn't matter if its a dairy, a registered, a purebred, a commercial or a mongrel, they almost always get better with their second calf or their second milk production. If they raised a dink calf again or poor milk production on second calving, they are gone period and they don't deserve a second chance.

I usually find they do better the second year, there are some exceptions.. I had a heifer last year that raised a phenomenal steer, this year her steer was a bit smaller but still a very nice animal... I think now that she's grown up she'll be consistently a good producer. Full sister to this cow was a heifer this year that raised a dink of a heifer.. I'm not sure everything was right in the digestive department on the calf, but the cow has grown a tremendous amount this year, so her second year will be her test. I have another full sister to the two of them that will have her first calf this spring, she looks like she's going to do very well, she's bossy enough to get food, and she's a big girl too.
I found if they raise too big a calf the first year it'll pull them down for the second, unless you'd wean particularly early perhaps. I did wean early this year, and I'm hoping to reap some rewards from it next year.. I'll also once again feed the young cows seperately to make sure they get their fair share of food and are in good condition.