This reloading is getting expensive

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Just like most any hobby I've gotten into, I did to have some fun and save a few bucks. Fishing, diving, hunting, cattle (all meat related) and now reloading. Every hobby has gotten expensive for me because I always seem to find a way to justify bigger, more.... You get the idea.
Reloading is no different. I have friends that bring me cases and of course it's got to be put to use, since a spent casing just sittin there doesn't do anyone any good. A friend brought me 500 or so 9 cases to add the 500 he brought last time, plus a thousand or so 223 cases. Add to that a couple hundred 40 cases, but I didn't have a 40. Well, just so happened he's selling his Springfield xd in 40 and seeing that all these 40 cases are empty, and need to be put to use, I now have a 40.
I just hope someone doesn't bring me a couple 50mm cases with a barret 50 they don't need. :hide:

I have the same problem. Most of my hobbies seem to mysteriously snowball into more and bigger than I originally expected. I got into reloading to save money and by the time you buy all the basics and powder and primers you're going "how is this saving me money again?" I like it more for the convenience of being able to load up the quantities I need and the bullets I want. Its nice being able to load up a box of ammo for 20-30$ that would cost $60 if I got them from the store.

Hook":rciqs5gw said:
I didn't like the way it felt only being down to a handful of pistol rounds when there wasn't any ammo to be found. That's not going to be a problem now. Not for a long time anyway.

I have a 1000 40 brass and don't even own one, I am not real sure when I acquired them or why.
I bought a 1000 45 acp brass the other day for 60 bucks.
The brass is the killer if you buy new.
I can reload 7mm-08 32-40 for a third of the price of a box at the store.
The pistol pounds are about 7 dollars a box excluding the brass.

The sheriffs gun range is about a mile as the crow flies from here. Once a month they have a public day and he goes there to shoot. Once he's done he sweeps up whatever he can handle and puts it I'm a bag for me. The 9 is the most popular round, followed by the 40, them the 357 sig, and then the 380. Judging by what I see.
Rifle is 223, followed by 270/3006

I am an XD fan. I have a few of them. All in 9 and .40 but am eyeballing one in .45acp. Probably get the XDM.

I've got a bunch of 38 colt brass I don't really need anymore, but I already sold my lightning so I don't have the gun to sell you to match the brass.

I'm also a big fan of the Springfield xd.

Yeah I reloaded for years but when I bought my store I just bought my ammo. Couple months ago a friend traded my a couple cases of .38 super for some .38. Only had an old Thompson that shot .38 super so I had to buy a colt series seventy to shoot it. So now another pistol to collect dust in the safes. Fortunately ammo for it is still at pre-Obama prices. Noticed reloading supplies were a little more plentiful at the last market hall gun show.

I too have been reloading for sometime now.
Now I've got into a new venture 9For me that is) I am into casting my own bullets.
Another cost for more equipment. :frowns:

Cal

Thanks CB. I did see this but it made me realize I didn't have that much need.
How ever I did buy 10 boxes of hornet fmj at $13 dollars a box.
Don't care that much for fmj but the brass is boxer primed.

Cal

Latest posts