This makes it all worth it! New baby Dexter calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
Had to post some pictures. This is the first calf born on our farm from a breeding planned by us. The mama cow was brought up by us since she was a weanling and we took her all the way through to a nice, vigorous calf. We had calves born before, but we had bought the cows already bred.

So, here is Tara and her new calf, Easter, (she was born while we were at church yesterday morning).

Guess you guys can take some credit, too, 'cause I came here for help when my cows were thin several months ago. :D Still could use a bit more weight, but they will get there slowly. Tara was the toughest to fill out.

To get an idea of size, (she's about 40 pounds), I'm in this picture.
ZGEastercalf026.jpg

Lick!
ZGEastercalf011.jpg

Good mama.
ZGEastercalf022.jpg

Nursing within an hour, (she tried like heck until she figured it out).
ZGEastercalf032.jpg

Curled up near a windbreak. Surprisingly cold right now in FL.
ZGEastercalf037.jpg

Out in the pasture today. She was running around this monring, but I missed taking pictures. She has those legs of hers figured out. Sweet Tara lets me mess with her in the pasture. This was one of Tara's breaks from grazing. She stopped by to wake the calf up for breakfast.
ZGEastercalf041.jpg

All I can say is ohhhhhhhh :heart: :heart: :heart:

Congrats, guys...you did good!

Alice

Wow. I've never been ballsey enough to try and grab a day old calf with mama 3 feet away behind only a cow panel!

Usually I try and have someone disract mama with some cubes or something, or else do the snatch and run and get in the barn before mama knows whats going on if I am gonna tag em and band em.

Congratulations Little Cow.

The BCS for those cows does indeed look much better than before. Congratulations for that as well.

Practically everyone of us started somewhere. I get plum tickled thinking of those little fellas you have. But you are acquiring experience, which is very valuable. Keep at it.

Thanks, guys! :D

Eric, I understand your concerns. These little Dexters are a bit different. I'm impressed at how much I can get away with compared to the big cows I used to have. Maybe they are just more used to living close to people. We do watch their body language though. Giving them some food to eat helps, too.

Latest posts