This is why we use A.I here.

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
I A.I.ed one of my favorite Shorthorn Plus cows to a clubby bull named Amen and we got this nice little heifer. This will be my daughters show heifer next year. It sure is nice when a plan works out I much prefer to spend $30 on a straw of semen than $3000 for a show heifer.

jd720":2y7egqov said:
I A.I.ed one of my favorite Shorthorn Plus cows to a clubby bull named Amen and we got this nice little heifer. This will be my daughters show heifer next year. It sure is nice when a plan works out I much prefer to spend $30 on a straw of semen than $3000 for a show heifer.

Heck yeah cheapest and best way to build genetics into your herd if you have a small herd and bull prices are craaaazzzzyyyy!!

and I thought I was going to be clicking on a photo of a smashed up fence...

there's lots of reasons for using AI. Getting good genetics for a few dollars a pregnancy, can't beat that.

I used Amen because first I needed a Th and Pha free bull and that eliminates a good percentage of clubby bulls. I wasn`t trying to follow the trends sometimes these popular bulls are only popular because of who owns and promotes them there are plenty of good bulls in every breed that are overlooked because of their owners don`t have the right last name. I tend to follow my gut when making breeding decisions sometimes it works better than others but I`m glad this one worked that picture is the day she was born she is about 3 weeks old now and looking better everyday.

I'm fairly familiar with the clubby deal, so I get the politics and everything. I was just curious what you liked about him in particular. I actually have some Amen in one of my tanks, but never found a use for it.I like some of the oldies but goodies like Dr Who, Carnac, About time, etc. I like your calf, what is the dam built like?

I love the opportunity to use AI as well!! Its like Christmas when the cows blood tests are positive pregnant. I Can't wait for spring!!!! BTW beautiful heifer!

I took a yr off AI'ing and now I'm kicking myself for it. Still have a couple new bulls in the line up to look fwd to for calves next spring, but no AI calves.

Put a semen order in a couple weeks ago to make up for it.

The cow she is out of has a good square hip and always puts that in her calves. I wanted to make her calf a little deeper bodied I thought this bull might help that but time will tell she`s still a baby. This is a picture I took tonight I think she`s coming along nicely. Thanks for all the positive comments.

Just wanted to post a updated picture of this heifer. She is still on the cow but we have been working on getting her halter broke. She hasn`t been washed and clipped yet but I`m still happy with how she`s done.

jd720":189y6hvi said:
Just wanted to post a updated picture of this heifer. She is still on the cow but we have been working on getting her halter broke. She hasn`t been washed and clipped yet but I`m still happy with how she`s done.

Congratulations. Your plan is working.

I think I'm the only one, but I can rarely see potential in baby calves until their 3-400 pounds. I mean I can see it between a longhorn and that heifer, but my dad could pick show quality from birth without knowing genetics

Latest posts