This is why we pelvic measure

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M":1rvqsk2k said:
Son of Butch":1rvqsk2k said:
Lazy M":1rvqsk2k said:
Our vet charges $8/hd if you bring them to him. Small price to pay
A lot of hidden costs in loading/hauling cattle to and from a vet.
I'm always surprised by how common it seems to be down south. Guess I should appreciate the number of large animal
vets we have available locally.
True. I usually eat the extra $45 charge to have the vet come to the farm unless I'm moving them to another place anyway

I think the trip charge here is $50 but our vet also went over/completed their VFD questionnaire and I don't bat an eye at the charge because if I need him in the middle of the night he's here in 30 minutes max.

talltimber":2mlanq5z said:
So what you at saying is that you pelvic measure too? Just by the experience/seat of the pants method. If I knew what 180 felt like I would too! I may as well stick my head in there to look, for what good it would do me.

Well, if you can stick your head in, she should be good to go! ;-)

TCRanch":qhetgh7d said:
reeler":qhetgh7d said:
Interesting post, sorry about Rear end #2&3

I was pretty sure #2 wouldn't make the cut but she's my husbands fave. Or was :frowns:
I'm sorry for your husband-it's really hard when it's your favorite. You try not to get attached, but it inevitably happens with some. I had to sell a favorite cow recently,& am still struggling to get over it. :cry:

I stand corrected: Just got the bill and the trip charge was only $30. BANGS for 5 heifers was $40, Express 5 VL5 $20, pelvic measurements for 7 heifers was $35. They have to have the BANGS & Express anyway so the additional $5 per head to measure is very reasonable IMO & I will happily pay $30 to avoid the hassle (and potential drama) of loading/hauling/unloading/loading/hauling/unloading. Pickin' my battles :)

@MurraysMutts, Stucky Angus Ranch is in Kingman, KS (not too far) and has a great reputation. Not sure who's selling in the dispersal but with this drought, lots of good, long-standing operations are selling out. Generally older operations and they're just done, don't have kids/grandkids that either want to continue the legacy or can't afford it.

I'll ask around and see if anyone else knows. But I suspect these are pretty nice cows.

Latest posts