This is a new one on me!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I talked earlier about a heifer with a right lung full of fluid. My vet brought in a retired vet and he took one look at her and told me what it was. It is severe grass belly and he told me that what this heifer will do and is doing now is gorging herself off of hay and she has actually stretch here stomachs and it puts pressure on her right lung and what moisture is in her right lung can't be expelled. He said what will happen is she will stretch her stomach to the point that she wont be able to expell what's in her stomach. And it is a real shame because, she is a text book perfect polled heifer and as pretty as a picture. He said either keep her in a seperate lot and put her on a low cal diet or send her packing and the time involved with seperating her would be as bad as raising bottle calves! ANyone heard of this??

I'm not sure, I just hate to see her go, I mean she is beautiful. But I guess she'll make me a beautiful piece of hamburger too.

[email protected]":2p5hbl7h said:
I'm not sure, I just hate to see her go, I mean she is beautiful. But I guess she'll make me a beautiful piece of hamburger too.

Sorry to hear of the prognosis. You've got a positive attitude about it though, it's not a total loss. Will she be burger for you or sale-barn bound?

Katherine

Latest posts