Thinking about feeding out cow

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I've been selling grain fed RA calves for years and have a good customer base that has certain expectations of my product. Last year, I fed out a RA 3 yr old bull (steered at 30 months for feed out and taken at 36 months after 4 months on feed). The beef went to certain knowing customers whose opinions I respect. They pretty much all said it was just as tender as the calves they were used to, and was not overly marbled. This year I have an 8 year old RA cow from the same line as last years steered bull, that has slipped to an 18 month cycle for the 2nd year in a row. I'm thinking about feeding her out instead of taking her to the salebarn. What are your experiences with beef quality from 8 year old Angus cows (or other) fed out for beef?

As with last years steered bull she will be placed in a 50x50 pen with shaded area cleaned each week while on feed and hay for 4 months. Shes currently about 1350lbs

dcara":2a71tkur said:
I've been selling grain fed RA calves for years and have a good customer base that has certain expectations of my product. Last year, I fed out a RA 3 yr old bull (steered at 30 months for feed out and taken at 36 months after 4 months on feed). The beef went to certain knowing customers whose opinions I respect. They pretty much all said it was just as tender as the calves they were used to, and was not overly marbled. This year I have an 8 year old RA cow from the same line as last years steered bull, that has slipped to an 18 month cycle for the 2nd year in a row. I'm thinking about feeding her out instead of taking her to the salebarn. What are your experiences with beef quality from 8 year old Angus cows (or other) fed out for beef?

As with last years steered bull she will be placed in a 50x50 pen with shaded area cleaned each week while on feed and hay for 4 months. Shes currently about 1350lbs
you say she weighs 1350 now.well to me she is finished out.but you would want to put her on feed for 30 days.since she is 8yrs old im thinking hamberger is all she will make.but their might be some steaks on her.

OTM rules will apply, will limit you on cuts... 30 days on feed, don't bother with the loin cuts, put it all into hamb will be some of the best, and you will have no prob's selling to all your established customers.... just about anyone can use more hamb!

Michele

Thanks, but as I mentioned above, I'm really looking for actual experiences from people on what they have witnessed from the cutout of an 8 year old cow. I'm NOT looking for opinions on what to sell to my customers. Based on other folks stated experiences, and my own previous experiences I will form my own opinion on what to sell to my customers.

I am fairly certain that just 30 days on feed will not be enough to turn the fat white though.

Michele - what is/are OTM rules.

dcara":23gq2y0v said:
Thanks, but as I mentioned above, I'm really looking for actual experiences from people on what they have witnessed from the cutout of an 8 year old cow. I'm NOT looking for opinions on what to sell to my customers. Based on other folks stated experiences, and my own previous experiences I will form my own opinion on what to sell to my customers.

I am fairly certain that just 30 days on feed will not be enough to turn the fat white though.

easy you asked for opions.an you got them.alot of the canada cattle butcher their cull cows.an most if not all make hamberger ot of them.you should get 700 to 800lbs meat outta her.

easy you asked for opinions.an you got them.
Actually, I did not ask for opinions. I asked for experiences. I think there is a big difference. And though I appreciate your interest in wanting to contribute to my question I really need to ask for actual experiences on which I can build and base a business decision. I don't mean to sound unappreciative, I just need to keep this focused.

dcara":ghhv5713 said:

OK - we have on several occasions, done just what I explained...butcher always said I had some really nice loin cuts that I could of gotten out of older cow. I have always passed, and made some really great burger by doing the whole cow.

OTM - Over Thirty Months - certain cuts of which I am not versed in, although your butcher will be able to better explain.

Michele

dcara":mmrhgdqu said:
easy you asked for opinions.an you got them.
Actually, I did not ask for opinions. I asked for experiences. I think there is a big difference. And though I appreciate your interest in wanting to contribute to my question I really need to ask for actual experiences on which I can build and base a business decision. I don't mean to sound unappreciative, I just need to keep this focused.
well son dont go putting down the advice thats offered.by the way your acting i can tell you got a burr under your saddle.an that you really have no idea what your doing.an if your afraid butchering a cow will ruin your business dont do it.its best not to question what a person knows unless you know them.im sure not a greenhorn in this business.

With older cows we've hung them 2 weeks then had a T-bone cut out and tried it. If it was tough we ground the whole cow, if it was tender we would have saved the better cuts and ground the rest. So far we've ended up grinding them.
But it's the best flavored burger you'll ever wrap a lip around

dun":3hrh28sm said:
With older cows we've hung them 2 weeks then had a T-bone cut out and tried it. If it was tough we ground the whole cow, if it was tender we would have saved the better cuts and ground the rest. So far we've ended up grinding them.
But it's the best flavored burger you'll ever wrap a lip around
well said .you said exactly what i said.thanks for confirming that my old mind still works.

Had an old (>10) limi cow that had a minor vaginal prolapse. That wouldn't have been a big deal except for a deep freeze that came through and she had the prolapse frostbit. We didn't have time to put her on grain but fortunately she was in good flesh. We saved some roasts and put the rest in hamburger.
Given how nice the roasts were I wish I knew about Duns suggestion to pull a couple steaks then decide how to cut her. It was the best hamburger, ever. Also, slightly yellow fat does not bother us, it's just a fact of life for grass-fed beef.

Latest posts