Things to do along I-10

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime said:
If you've never driven that route, don't make the mistake that a lot of people do and that is to needlessly drive through New Orleans. Going east when you get to Baton Rouge get off I-10 and take I-12 . I-12 will run back into I-10 at Slidell. I-12 is shorter and faster than I-10 through New Orleans.
I concur unless he wants to leave an Everlasting impression on his boy that only NO can do .

If your son likes caves, there is one in the Panhandle before you get to Tallahassee. It's called Florida Caverns State Park in Marianna. HOWEVER, the Panhandle is still recovering from Hurricane Michael. Call first to see if the park is open. One of the few dry caves in Florida. Florida has the best state parks in the country (not an exaggeration, they win awards). Our son prefers state parks to Disney nonsense, thank goodness. Annual pass is MUCH cheaper, lol! We've only been to Disney once as a family and were not impressed. Unbelievably expensive.

Little Cow said:
If your son likes caves, there is one in the Panhandle before you get to Tallahassee. It's called Florida Caverns State Park in Marianna. HOWEVER, the Panhandle is still recovering from Hurricane Michael. Call first to see if the park is open. One of the few dry caves in Florida. Florida has the best state parks in the country (not an exaggeration, they win awards). Our son prefers state parks to Disney nonsense, thank goodness. Annual pass is MUCH cheaper, lol! We've only been to Disney once as a family and were not impressed. Unbelievably expensive.

I know it (caverens) took a major hit from hurricane and not sure if its open yet, Our swimming hole http://www.floridasprings.org/visit/map/jackson%20blue%20springs/ is slated to open this week after the county announced a few weeks back it would not open this year because of severe damage. A public uproar ensued and they got the bureaucrats off their azz and got something done about it.

a quick check on the parks website and the caverns still closed .

https://www.floridastateparks.org/StormUpdates

https://www.wtvy.com/content/news/Florida-Caverns-State-Park-still-closed-from-Hurricane-Michael-damage-504721031.html

That's a shame. Our son was hoping to visit this summer.

Our town was hit hard by Hurricane Irma, so we don't want to get in anyone's way that is trying to put their lives back together. I got so mad at the disaster tourists that showed up in our town afterwards. A lot of folks down the road were helped out by their church or other local groups when they finally got an insurance check. Now, it seems they bypassed some permits in an effort to get back in their homes. There is a big mess now with flood insurance because of it.

Tubing down the Ichetucknee is the other thing he loves to do. That is a great lazy summer day sort of activity.

CSM, if you can find any of the state parks off of the highway, stop by for a chance to stretch your legs. There are many close to the highway. The only ones I know are closed are the Caverns (thanks, M-5) and Devil's Millhopper in Gainesville (near I-75).

Paynes Prairie (La Chua Trail entrance) is a great chance to see alligators and it's also not far from I-75, on your way down to the Mouse House. You can't walk out on the dike to see the bison and wild horses due to flooding, but the boardwalk area is neat and a safe way to see some of our most famous residents. No dogs allowed on the boardwalk (gator snacks). You pass by a neat cinder block barn when you walk out to the boardwalk. I would love to have a working barn like that in this heat.

We'll be at Navarre Beach again Aug 3 thru 10 this year . I don't intend to go anywhere or do anything . We'll stop at Maria's in Pensacola on the way in and stock up on shrimp. We'll probably chase grandkids up and down the white sand. Not much else other than relaxing.

ga.prime said:
If you've never driven that route, don't make the mistake that a lot of people do and that is to needlessly drive through New Orleans. Going east when you get to Baton Rouge get off I-10 and take I-12 . I-12 will run back into I-10 at Slidell. I-12 is shorter and faster than I-10 through New Orleans.
X3!
The traffic alone is a buzz killer, not to mention the Sodom & Gomorrah side of it.
While some find the 23 mile long drive over Lake Pontchatrain pretty interesting, it gets pretty boring after the first couple of miles and lawd help you if there's a wreck on it.

There is, a WW2 destroyer tied up at Baton Rouge (USS Kidd) that's interesting and there is (or was) a little local paddlewheel excursion boat there that takes about 2 hours to tour the immediate area of the Miss. River.
It may not even be running now, as the Mississippi R. is in flood stage. It's "ok" but nothing to write the folks back home about imo.

I found the Kidd most interesting because the way it is moored. When the river is down, it sits on a framework
and the hull can be a hundred feet from the river's edge. When the Miss. R. is up, it's surrounded by water and is floating, kept in place by cables and steel stanchions on the river side of it.

I'm not sure where you're gonna pick up I-10 at, but if you meet it somewhere near San Antonio I can think of two:

1.) the illustrious Pecanderosa Ranch located only 7 miles off i-10. Owned and operated by none other than CT's own jschoolcraft86.

2.) Pape's Pecan House is in Seguin also, and it has the worlds largest collection of nutcrackers. It's interesting and free. My 10 year old stepdaughter was mildly entertained. Probably not gonna take much time to see what can be seen, but it's a nice spot to stretch your legs and maybe pickup some driving snacks.

M-5 said:
ga.prime said:
I concur unless he wants to leave an Everlasting impression on his boy that only NO can do .

Thanks for that tip. :tiphat:

You can see the USS Kidd from the Miss. River bridge at Baton Rouge. Pretty easy to get to.
From Baton Rouge eastward you will be on The Republic of West Florida Parkway (I12).
Your son may not know that SE Louisiana was in West Florida at one time.
Louisiana has parishes instead of counties. That SE area of Louisiana is referred to as the Florida Parishes.
Hammond is the home of Southeastern Louisiana University. Dr. Samuel Hyde is on the faculty there and has written a lot about the area.
He is the author of the book
"Pistols and Politics", about the fights and feuds in times gone by (sort of).

Hammond, La. is about 50 minutes east of Baton Rouge.
If you think you will be in the Baton Rouge or Hammond area about eating time my wife and I would like to take you and your son out to eat.
PM me if you want my phone number.

In Pensacola there is an interesting museum at the Naval Air Station. If you have time take him.
There is Fort Pickens on Santa Rosa Island near Pensacola. The old fort where Geronimo was imprisoned at one time.

I think Gizmom's place is just a few miles from Pensacola. I'm sure she knows the area better and can give directions. You might run by and see if you can snitch one of those high dollar embryos when she is not looking. ;-)

Latest posts