Things that go whirl in the wind..

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
When it's too cold and wet to do anything else, I build whirlys. Built about 20 over the winter, gave most away as gifts. Got a couple down at the local nursing home, and usually build 2 or more if I am building a certain one. The fans are to try to keep crows out of the garden--jury is still out on that one.
I've done some more elaborate ones--a farmer being kicked by a jackass, but those type have linkage and little cams, and the heavy winds here destroy them in short order.
Made a bunny for my niece that the ears whirled around--turned out pretty good but no pic, and did a pelican for my brother down at Bolivar peninsula.

whirlys001.jpg

whirlys002.jpg

whirlys003.jpg

whirlys005.jpg

whirlys010.jpg

Fantastic hobby! Nice work. I like the ducks and the indian in the canoe. Heck, I like em all! :tiphat:

Thanks.
The little man has been up for about 3 years and is showing wear in the pivot bushings and the wings are contacting the body..
It's evolved since I first started--from making parts with a mitre box and jig saw, to using a jig for my table saw and using a scroll saw and router table, but they are relatively easy to make with a minimum of tools if you only want to make one or two.
The blue duck I made out of reference to Lonesome Dove.
Some I make with both wings turning the same direction--some I make that they counter rotate--it all depends which plane I drill the pivot hole in.
If I get time, I'll type up a little tutorial next time I make one.

greybeard":210a00bq said:
Thanks.
The little man has been up for about 3 years and is showing wear in the pivot bushings and the wings are contacting the body..
It's evolved since I first started--from making parts with a mitre box and jig saw, to using a jig for my table saw and using a scroll saw and router table, but they are relatively easy to make with a minimum of tools if you only want to make one or two.
The blue duck I made out of reference to Lonesome Dove.
Some I make with both wings turning the same direction--some I make that they counter rotate--it all depends which plane I drill the pivot hole in.
If I get time, I'll type up a little tutorial next time I make one.
greybeard, yes please post a tutorial. I would like to make some with Little HOSS. :help:

Years ago on the way to the lake we pass an old farm house which I had seen a sign on the fence from time to time that said " Road runners for sale". I pulled over knocked on the door and an old frail man answered the door. I asked him if he still had any " road runners". He shuffled over to the garage poked around a little and came out with a pair of your whirly's! Lol ! I still kick myself for not buying em after making that ole man go find em......we did get a good laugh about my stupidity.

Those are great! A friend of mine, her grandad used to make some nifty ones out of aluminum cans. I would love to have had plans for those.

Please DO post a tutorial, that would be great!

Katherine

Latest posts