Things I've learned

Help Support CattleToday:

E in PA

Reaction score
It has been 2 years since I bought my 1st two Angus heifers. Just wanted to share some of the things I've learned, relearned and things learned from this site I have verified.

When you put a dairy bottle calf on the ground, fights over. When you put a beef calf on the ground, the fight just started.

An 80 lb midget goat will roll about 15 yards when headbutted by a normally docile cow that just had its calf.

A 2 year old Angus bull will clear a 5 foot high gate from a stand still. Quite gracefully I might add. Looked like a giant black deer.

My older neighbors think it's great that I am "reclaiming" a farm that has not had livestock on it for about 20 years. And are willing to lend a hand or give advice whenever needed.

Having a calf die on you still sucks, emotionally and financially.

And no matter how careful you are, electric fences still hurt.

Rope burn also still hurts.

I am not getting out the cattle game anytime soon.

And finally no goats were harmed in the making of this post.

If not already, soon you'll learn that you can't herd cats and pulling a chain is much easier than pushing it. :mrgreen:

Excellent! So far, I have to agree with everything you have said. We just got a bull out on our place with our 7 heifers. So far he is putting in good work. Looking forward to the next year.

Lucky for you on those neighbors. Having someone around who knows more than you is priceless. Best of luck for your continued success in your angus deer breeding program. Craig

It's all true! Glad you're going to keep on with it. Just look forward to all the new things you're going to learn and experience in the coming years.

Keep up the good work. :)

Katherine

I'VE seen the same things, all but the goat. Keep workn and keep laugh'n it gets better and funnier. :deadhorse: