Things I Did Wrong

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
How about a thread of things you wish you'd done different around your farm, or about your cows. Not having one is not a legal answer. :lol:

If I had it to do over, there wouldn't be anything but 16' gates, I have a few 12 footers and they are always a pain in my a$$. I'm always having to drive the long way around because of some of them.

Ol' 243":18jhqr50 said:
How about a thread of things you wish you'd done different around your farm, or about your cows. Not having one is not a legal answer. :lol:

If I had it to do over, there wouldn't be anything but 16' gates, I have a few 12 footers and they are always a pain in my a$$. I'm always having to drive the long way around because of some of them.

We have an abundance of 14' gates and they do okay. Luckily most of the main entrance gates are either 16' wide or in several cases 22' with 2, 12' gates.

i have a lane that goes most of the way around my little place. easy to open gates and control grazing...I put it on the outside of the paddocks thinking it would keep the flies and aromatics away from the house....after walking a few thousand miles I sure wish I had put it on the inside right around the house and yard....

Wish I'd married an ugly woman that could cook instead of a good lookin one that can't. ;-)

Really tho, I left West Texas and moved back to East Texas. That, was a mistake, but stuck with it now.
And when I cleared this place, I had all the timber cut off the West side of the pond. That was a mistake..shulda backed of about 50' and left some tall trees--sure makes for hot fishing any time after 11am to sunset.

I would have built all 6 strand barbed wire fences instead of starting with 4 strand. Calves barely hesitate going through 4.

Some good ones here.. Gates, yes, 14' is about right for our equipment, 12' is definitely too small..
Fences, yes, anything less than 5 wires is not considered a "legal" fence here, and for good reason.. I do like the high tensile though.. Wish my dad knew how to make better corner braces though!

One of my own, I'd wish I'd have gotten better cows to start with.. specifically, healthier, more structurally correct ones with no prolapses, bad udders, etc... It's only been about 4 years since I had to stop culling otherwise good cows for stupid problems.. dug way too many holes for them too

Ol' 243":17m9ocj5 said:
Another one . . . . . . . . . . .never buy a tractor that ain't 4WD, has a FEL, and a cab.
Still don't have one of those!.. I'm not that big on cabs, FEL is definitely good, and having 1 4wd around is good (we have an old County)
I'd also say don't buy undersized equipment, you'll beat a 30hp tractor to death if it has to do the work that should be done by a 60hp

I had a group of 8 jersey bull calves I let get to 5-600 lbs before I cut them. I did it in headlocks. Definitely should have set up a squeeze shute. I've never been kicked so bad in my life.

Before I sold my D3G LGP, I wish I had cleared the center ridge all the way back to the creek. The land back there is good pasture.

Just shouldn't have sold it! Neighbor has one of them, nice little machines
Was quite a haul getting it to our place with 12% grades on washboard roads

greybeard":11uz7h7m said:
Really tho, I left West Texas and moved back to East Texas. That, was a mistake, but stuck with it now.
Yeah greybeard, not sure why you didnt like moving back, and no offense to Caustic, but my experience in East Tx the hunting is harder and too many outlaw rip you off people instead of the good ole boy Texas I know out here. East Tx didnt feel like Tx anymore. Where I live we wave at each other while driving down the road. Had a deer lease out by Jasper and another in Newton. Not a good experience. Beautiful pine trees though. (Never saw a deer, people got them at night from the shots and evidence we found) Me and my buddy, both conservative, short hair, 40's, camo hunting gear stopped at a hole on the wall middle of no where gas station to grab snacks and use the rest room. As I went to the restroom the cashier screamed at the top of her lungs "No shooting up in the bathroom" WTH It was like being in the twilight zone

We should have bought up every 260 dollar an acre land back in the 90s....all worth over 2000 now..

Latest posts