They're all gone

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, I just got back from the sale barn, had 17 calves to go, all GV X...

10 steers averaged 633 lbs and averaged 1.41/lb
7 heifers averaged 602 lbs and averaged 1.32/lb

The 675 lb lot of heifers was 1.29, the middleweights (620 lbs) were 1.35, and the lightweights (515 lb) got less at 1.33, which is kinda odd.
I was a bit disappointed in the price of the 690 lb steers at 1.34 compared to the 630 lb steers that got 9 cents more, but what can I do.

I heard that there were trucking problems due to the XL meats getting shut down, causing trucks being needed to haul cattle south to slaughter, leaving us far-westerners hung out to dry with a shortage of trucking.

I can be thankful that the prices weren't what they were 6 years ago when our nicest heifers went for $.80 /lb... that was a very swift kick in the behind for everyone

I'll post a vid of the sale soon...

Nesikep":bhk1axy1 said:
Well, I just got back from the sale barn, had 17 calves to go, all GV X...

10 steers averaged 633 lbs and averaged 1.41/lb
7 heifers averaged 602 lbs and averaged 1.32/lb

The 675 lb lot of heifers was 1.29, the middleweights (620 lbs) were 1.35, and the lightweights (515 lb) got less at 1.33, which is kinda odd.
I was a bit disappointed in the price of the 690 lb steers at 1.34 compared to the 630 lb steers that got 9 cents more, but what can I do.I heard that there were trucking problems due to the XL meats getting shut down, causing trucks being needed to haul cattle south to slaughter, leaving us far-westerners hung out to dry with a shortage of trucking.

I can be thankful that the prices weren't what they were 6 years ago when our nicest heifers went for $.80 /lb... that was a very swift kick in the behind for everyone

I'll post a vid of the sale soon...
there,,, not much... that was a free 60 pnds extra for the buyer.. course they'll be some shrink... sounds like you did good...

I'm just glad I was able to find a new home (er, freezer) for my yearling steer, I would have taken a massive hit on him, he's about 1450 lb at 19 months

Our neighbour is sending his to the auction tomorrow, I'll call him up and see how that went for him.

I didn't make it to the sale last week to snoop at prices but just looked them up on the website. Here steers your size went for 140-143 and heifers 134-146. I know who was selling though and there are a lot of replacement heifers sold at that particular sale so that's what drove the upper end of the price up there.
Considering everything that's been going on, sounds like you did pretty good and you couldn't hold them forever.:)

Finally remembered to bring the video with me... here they are going through the ring

The mid-sized heifers (615 lb'ers) were bought by a big ranch, so they're most likely going to be replacements.. among one of them was the freemartin, and the other two I didn't like all that much... they'd have been better off with the big ones I think.

[youtube]Ns15w9MOeis[/youtube]

Kind of dirty grouping a known freemartin. But I guess the world is full of people that will do whatever, if they think it will make them an extra $1. Often they will be the ones belly aching when theirs don't bring top money next time.

I'm not the one in charge of grouping them, there's no option for me to even let anyone know she is a free martin, and I'm not selling my calves at a replacement heifer sale... 95% of these animals go to feedlots. Do I feel good about it? no... but if I were buying calves at the auction, the first thing I'd think of is that the person selling them has already kept the best as replacements for his own herd. Personally, I didn't like any of the heifers he bought, they were way to skimpy on heart girth.

Latest posts