They think they're cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
A few months back my brother trapped several wild hogs. Called to see if I could help clean and butcher. There was 13 pigs in one trap,so we got to going thru them. Two were real small 1 female and 1 male. He didn't want to kill them yet,because of their size. So sure I brought them home and put them in a pen. They did good for about 3 weeks. The male figured out how to escape. All was fine he didn't go anywhere. A couple of weeks later the female got out. So I figured they would leave. Wrong ,they stay with the few calves I brought in.
I have never seen these wild hogs on a daily basis. Yes,guys before you start. I know what a wild hog can do.
Soon as I come across the cattle guard here they come squealing at me. I've been bringing watermelons and tomatos for the jersey. They follow me squealing away until I stop in the back and start dumping the stuff out. They eat,sleep and play with the cows. I've never knew cattle would interact with hogs. Before ya'll call me crazy,the old man has seen them too. He says that's the craziest thing he has ever seen.
P1080984.jpg

P1080979.jpg

now joy what are you gonna do with those wild hoggs.thats a goodlooking jersey cow.

Bigbull is right...that is one nice looking Jersey cow!

When I was a kid, a baby pig from a big pig operation down the road from our dairy wandered up. My mother was going out the back door to work one morning and found it eating dog food with our outside dog, a border collie, believe it or not. It was a sweet little pig...loved to romp and play with the dogs and the calves...until she grew into this honking big, ill tempered sow.

Joy, can you catch the pigs? I don't know how old a pig has to be before it's capable of breeding/birthing, but that's something you might not want to get started. I'm just sayin'... :?

Alice

Thanks bigbull and Alice. Shelly the jersey should be calving in a month or so. She is a sweet animal. I took her out to the pasture,but had to bring her back home. She couldn't fight off those beefmasters for feed.
One big guess bigbull,what we are going to do with those pigs. Should make some good tasting Bar-B-Q I would say.
No Alice they are not pets. They still have enough wild in them I don't really trust them. I caught them last night and got them back in a pen. They started acting the way they first did when I got them. CRAZY....

Latest posts