They Are Against Us

Help Support CattleToday:

I cant open the link..but based on what you said, I can gather what its about..being a member of some horse forums.

Idioticy abounds in our society..what I find funny is the fact that it is said mustangs are "native"..OK..my response is, then, like any "native" animal (deer,elk) we have a season on them..;)..no, you dont want that? OK..then they arent native and are being dealt with alot better then other "non native" species that are intrusive on the ecosystem...(like hogs).

despite what some folks think, the BLM is not the devil.

With the state of the economy affecting horse sales, over 1000 TB horses have been slaughtered in Ireland this year due to lack of sales, a quick decision had to be made on how to solve the problem and the most logical was to slaughter and sell the meat to the continent, despite the great affection for horses amongst the Irish and British people.
In England, the wild ponies in the New forest, Welsh mountains, northern fells etc, that used to be auctioned, are being slaughtered through a mobile slaughter unit, before any ecological damage can be done, again over 1000 ponies are involved in this cull. All these wild populations have been rounded up every year for centuries, and as a result the populations have been managed to fit into the local ecology without causing damage, or restricting the amount of forage for wild deer and cattle grazed under ancient commons grazing laws, the only change is that instead of the ponies being auctioned, most will be sold a meat while the live market is depressed. The pro feral horse lobby in the USA need to study the successful management of wild horse populations in Britain and learn about the ecological impact of overpopulation, more so in the brittle environments of the southern states of the USA>

It is amazing what narrow minded people can be. In the east of the UK when I was growing up there were very few Deer. Now there are a lot (herds of 30 to 40 head). This is a nice site, but they do have a seriouse economic impact on intesivly farmed land. There were complaints and law actions to stop controlled culls of these until a few to many had their rural gardens eaten.

Amazing the effect when it is not a farmers or ranchers income at stake, but a "towny's" garden etc.

I wish they would reopen the slaughter plant in the u.s. I have two old horses that are not rideable . I won't lie to get rid of them . But if you take them to the sale you can t give them away . They are livestock not pets . When people started buying them as pets and decided they have " rights" the market went to he11.

This one idiot I am arguing with had the nerve to tell me, " I'm a cattle raiser."
What the h*ll is that?
Last time I looked the term was cattle "rancher".
Told them they should sell all of their cattle and come adopt a few hundred head of these "mustangs" and not castrate the studs.

I'm waiting for it to get locked. I'm pretty good at doing that on subjects concerning anti ag and wolves.

I can't look at forums like that I get mad lol . I find its better to ignore ignorant people .

Not to repeat what several have said, but I think the animal huggers have done a huge dis-service to horses by not having a way to market crippled, aged, unmanageable animals in-country. By doing so, they can still be sold as slaughter animals to be shipped out, but the USA has no control over humane handling in the foreign-buyer market/slaughter pens. I don't know why those big $ horse "savers" can't get that figured out. Horses here are starving via economy and bad market ; being dropped off in any pasture that someone can open a gate into; actually being taken to the sale yard but put in someone's empty trailer so they don't have to do the paperwork with the sale barn. Very, very bad situation.

And the "wild horses" . . . . with a few legitimate exceptions, where the Feds have DNA'd and found specific bunches of horses (i.e, the Kiger horses in OR) -- those are just generations of ferals. They should NOT be protected; should not be considered in a management program. I know that sounds hard, but govt. grazing lands are becoming harder and harder to maintain, and ferals are ferals, pretty as they may be.

I know more about cattle than horses, but I beleive the Horse as it is has been managed by humans a very long time...I.E. selective breeding, cutting males, and other things...MOST people do not have a clue about animal managent...The need for it...If you do not raise some form of animals for killing , you do not get the need for Mgt. I bet 75 to 90 % of americans under 40 have never see a animal killed in person...The ones that have are the few hunters, that are still around...

Black Coos":3td3hfsz said:
I know more about cattle than horses, but I beleive the Horse as it is has been managed by humans a very long time...I.E. selective breeding, cutting males, and other things...MOST people do not have a clue about animal managent...The need for it...If you do not raise some form of animals for killing , you do not get the need for Mgt. I bet 75 to 90 % of americans under 40 have never see a animal killed in person...The ones that have are the few hunters, that are still around...
and that same 75 % would be the first to die if the electricity/ oil ever ran out.

Don't know how many of you subscribe to or can find RANGE magazine, but they've had some good articles over the last couple of months re: the "wild" horse issues. That rag tends to be pretty right-leaning, but that works for me.

I just read Empire of the Summer Moon, a book about Quanah Parker and the Comanches. GREAT book, but that's not my point ...

No culture in the history of the world has had a greater appreciation for horses than the Comanche Indians, yet they avidly practiced selective breeding and culling of unwanted animals. Today's misguided environmentalists would be appalled to learn that slaughtered horses were routinely used for meat during lean times.

Wild horses and feral hogs are a nuisance to valid, sustainable, economically and environmentally feasible agriculture throughout North America. Intelligent, dispassionate men and women should come together and reach an agreement that puts a rancher's and a farmer's interests on the same level as a feral hog's or mustang's.

However, intelligent discussion cannot be achieved with someone who believes that a wild hog has the same rights as you and I do.

JSCATTLE":g3pjalez said:
I can't look at forums like that I get mad lol . I find its better to ignore ignorant people .
This type of people breed also and they cannot be culled. What can we do

This is 3 tweaks off-topic, and may incite some riot, but it's food for thought about what's happening in the grand old USA today:

Was going through a Jan. 2010 Article in Nat'l Geographic last night: TOUGH LOVE IN SINGAPORE. Singapore has had huge economic/tech/world recognition in recent yrs., as they've come back into the world market and improved conditions for their citizens. Captions for a couple photos, pgs. 144-145 of that article: (1 - showing back scars): "Singapore uses corporal punishment to fight the drug trade. Scars from a court-ordered caning mark a man who sold sm. amounts of heroin." (2 - showing a group of young women in a home-ec type classroom setting:) "Rules governing foreign workers brought into fill low-paying jobs are equally strict. Trained for placement as maids, . . . women will be deported if they get pregnant."

Duhhh!!!!

Latest posts