Thermal/night vision?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
So we had always had issues off and on with dump dogs. We live about 3-4miles out of town depending where you want to say town starts. Couple times now I've woke up to dogs running my butcher calves. First time I ran them off not realizing what was going on. Now they take off and can't find them in the dark. I know the good thermals are pricey 1500+. I've seen these that use your phone and attach to regular scope. Anyone used those? Good brands? Their a lot cheaper and I've heard decent things on accuracy.

You can get decent night vision for a lot less than a thermal, might start there. Every gun shop has a group of regular hard core coyote/hog hunters, and there are always a few that upgrade every year or so. So its worth a visit to any local shops to see what used optics they have. All the serious guys have both night vision and thermal, so you could find a deal on either one. That being said, some of those scopes are $5k-$10k, so cheap is relative. But its worth a look. I don't know that the add-ons are the way to go.

My son has a really nice thermal made by Vortex. Thinking he said it was $3k and he's had it 3-4 yrs now. Like Magis says look for a used one. The one my sone has Bluetooths to an iPad so the grandkids can watch.

I use a stream light that mounts to the scope , it's a green light and very effective.

I had one similar to that one, on my sks, but without the picatinny rail adapter of course. Worked good for shooting beaver but was never happy with the velcro remote switch. Had a few different ones and same problem with all of them. The bottom velcro patch always came unstuck in high humidity.

I bought a Pulsar NV at the recommendation of Brute and I like it pretty well. Thinking it was $1000ish.

I had one of those thermal camera attachments that slide onto my iPhone several years ago. It was very handy at troubleshooting aircraft engine problems.
It wasn't worth the price to attempt attaching it to a rifle (like a sock on a rooster bad)

I think I had more fun with it under the covers.

I had one similar to that one, on my sks, but without the picatinny rail adapter of course. Worked good for shooting beaver but was never happy with the velcro remote switch. Had a few different ones and same problem with all of them. The bottom velcro patch always came unstuck in high humidity.
Mine is on a picatinny rail and has a flip switch.
Works well to 100-125 yards.
I have this rail setup on all my scopes.

IMG_1300.jpeg

After the wolves killed calves here last fall nearly everyone bought a thermal. I don't know what they cost but I do know that the coyote population has taken a pretty good hit. If anyone shot a big dog they are keeping the mouth shut as they should.

So after posting this. Last night my wife wakes me up, she's light sleeper….me not so much. My blue heeler is going nuts. Strays dogs are back, so I snuck out the front door with the scoped/ mini14. Caught this lab mut cornering 2 of my 850lb butcher calves. Sadly first shot missed, he was still. He took of at a hard trot, I rolled him with the next shot through the shoulders. Had to drag him off tonite. I find it sad that I hit him moving, yet somehow missed standing still @75yds. Gun is a dog killing machine, has taken over 50dogs and coyotes in 10yrs. None by chance, all causing issues.

Latest posts