Their are Hogs then there are HOGS

Help Support CattleToday:

Set and baited my big trap this evening there was hog sign in my bottom pasture and woods everywhere.

Moved the little trap back along the creek down the road looks like Nat Geo wildlife trails in the Serengeti going
along the creek.

Tomorrow morning will tell the tale.

skyhightree1":1dej6377 said:
Very nice. I would have a field day shooting those suckers.

They are almost exclusively nocturnal, better have a good green light and scope.
I wander the pasture a lot at night when I don't have this collar and I can shoot something bigger than a 22.
You will only get one and they will move out for a few weeks.
If you can catch them in open pasture shoot the last pig and work up the line and you can get several.
Shoot one in the front or middle and they will scatter like quail.

Still got the guillotine door wired open on the big trap.
Checking the game camera pictures everyday when baiting have about half the
sounder going in. Some are still wary when they start in I will set the trigger.

Caustic Burno":15b0ayys said:
Fence the BS talk around here is they sell them to fancy restaurants on the East Coast and overseas.
Supposed to be a big deal with "Wild Boar" on the menu.
Other than that I don't have a clue.

I'm pretty sure the USDA doesn't allow this. But if they did, you'd see the wild hog problem disappear.

JMJ Farms":217lekmr said:
Caustic Burno":217lekmr said:
Fence the BS talk around here is they sell them to fancy restaurants on the East Coast and overseas.

I'm pretty sure the USDA doesn't allow this. But if they did, you'd see the wild hog problem disappear.

They have a list of kill facilities in the state the hogs are slaughtered for consumption.
I am going to see the guy from TAMU on the 28th I will actually ask him were they go.

Here is an article I found saying the same thing
http://southwestfarmpress.com/livestock ... e-invasion

Caustic Burno":6fki56z1 said:
JMJ Farms":6fki56z1 said:
Caustic Burno":6fki56z1 said:

They have a list of kill facilities in the state the hogs are slaughtered for consumption.
I am going to see the guy from TAMU on the 28th I will actually ask him were they go.

Here is an article I found saying the same thing
http://southwestfarmpress.com/livestock ... e-invasion

I did not know that CB. Back when we were catching them with dogs it was illegal to transport or sell them. If you can now sell them, this should create some incentive for people wanting to make a dollar and get rid of some nuisances.

It will help the biggest problem is with those that are trap wise.
They are not as easy to trap as one might think they educate fast.
People catch and release for different reasons, you just created a hog that will never be trapped again.
I am working on a sounder that 20 have been caught out of they are wary of a trap as bad as I have seen.
That is why I have the door wired open and a game camera on it. Took a week before the first one would go in
have about half now. Soon as I get this bunch I am going to mount a bracket to put a five gallon game feeder on top of the
trap. That way I wont have to get close to bait. You can fool a hogs eyes and ears you can't fool his nose.

Brute 23":1g7cn017 said:
That is a myth that once you trap a hog and release it you can't trap it again.

You just have to be smarter than the hog.

The #1 rule to trapping hogs is the rules change as needed. ;-)

I have been trapping hogs a long time and if it is a myth it is a dam good one.
Nothing worse for creating this problem than a dog hunter. I always set up a game camera and there are
some hogs that will never enter a trap. They were not born with that education.
You might get one in one of these traps that fall from the sky or the 40 foot round ones
neither work well in our terrain. Your not getting him in a box trap again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MHr3yLWMVU
or with this one, just never could figure out how you wouldn't end up with a deer once in a while.
http://www.holdahawg.com/
I have caught deer in box traps and that wasn't pretty that hold a hawg would be real ugly.
The only positive thing I have found about feral hogs at least they are not born pregnant.

Every hog can be trapped if you use the right bait with the right set up.

The best bait to catch a hog.... is a hog. If your only using food (corn, scraps, ect) you are missing out.

Snares and those drop traps are a waste of time and money. That trap that drops is like $8K.

3x5x16 box trap will out do all of those traps. It's a lot easier to load from and can be moved. I had several pen traps and I can out do them with a big box trap every time.

If the hogs aren't going in your trap there is a reason. Trap is too small, too many hogs already in it, it has a floor, some thing is causing them to hold off. It's your job to find out what it is and change it.

Always corn the trap for a minimum of 1 week before setting it. Never set the trap two nights in a row. Long term you will catch more hogs from that pack by putting 2-3 days in between setting the trap each time.

ALWAYS bury your trip mechanism. If it's not buried you are the ones training the hogs not some one else. No foot trips you have to stand on. That's rooky stuff. Traps needs to trip from rooting up a string.

Hogs are use to hitting hard things with their nose while rooting for food. They are not use to have odd things under their feet. All animals are very aware of what they are standing on.

That's a few of the things. No way to list them all but like I said.... All hogs can be trapped if you are smarter than them.

Well I guess I am dumber than a hog cause after over forty plus years of dogs, traps and a gun we
have more than ever.
It is 8 x 12 plenty big with no floor buried trip.
My little trap is 8 x 4 and I caught the big boar in it along with many others.
I have caught whole sounders in that 8 x 12 the problem is IMO neighbor over east built a
30 foot round one out of hog panel and caught the sounder and they busted out.
Have taken 20 out of this sounder with the boxes the rest are trap shy big time.
If you are setting traps without getting photos here you are training hogs,
never set the trip until the sounder is comfortable in feeding in and out.

That was not meant to be a jab at you CB. Its just that we are human and they are hogs so they are better at thinking like hogs.

You are absolutely right about using cameras. Night vision is ever better to study the hogs and how they are reacting around your traps.

When your trap triggers you should not have any loud pops or noises. I put rubber where my doors hit. When the trap closes all the hogs should still be around it... not running around crazy like in that youtube video. That teaches those hogs big metal objects are bad.

Realistically you cant always get every pig in the trap at once so not spooking the ones on the outside is key to catching the whole group.

That also goes to not making a lot of commotion with trailers, not shooting hogs in the trap, no squealing pigs, ect when you go to load. There is a good chance the rest of that group is very near. Hogs standing on the outside of your trap when you go to check them is a good sign.

Some times I run young dogs on the ground when I check traps to start them off hunting. When the dogs start finding hogs 50yds from the traps in the brush that is a good sign they are ready to go hunting. Its also how I know the other hogs stay near.

The true test that your system is right is that you can catch hogs that you have caught before. You have conditioned those hogs to not be scared of the trap to the extent that they are willing to go in it again.

Hogs are fairly territorial if they have every thing they need in that area. If I set a trap and see I have 30 hogs coming to it with a camera or NV it is essential that I catch all 30. If you set your traps up close to where hogs stay... not where they stay... not where they feed... you can catch them out of an area. Other hogs will filter in but you can catch that pack and totally wipe them out of "their" area.

If you don't eat em or sell em how are you suppose to get rid of them?
Follow the Vultures
When two Willacy County game wardens spotted several turkey vultures in a ranch off a county road, they went to the scene and found a dump site of freshly killed feral hogs and javelinas. The wardens followed the tracks to a hunters' campsite and found a list of hunters who had hunted that morning. The warden contacted the lease master and found the individual responsible for the dump site. The warden filed waste of game charges against the hunter and civil restitution is pending.

Kingfisher":2gg1nee5 said:
Follow the Vultures
When two Willacy County game wardens spotted several turkey vultures in a ranch off a county road, they went to the scene and found a dump site of freshly killed feral hogs and javelinas. The wardens followed the tracks to a hunters' campsite and found a list of hunters who had hunted that morning. The warden contacted the lease master and found the individual responsible for the dump site. The warden filed waste of game charges against the hunter and civil restitution is pending.

Hogs are not game. That's like saying you have to eat coyotes or rattlesnakes.

Brute 23":2lt6rdc1 said:
Kingfisher":2lt6rdc1 said:
Follow the Vultures

Hogs are not game. That's like saying you have to eat coyotes or rattlesnakes.

Brute you are 100% correct the GW was here at feral hog eradication workshop on the 1/28.
The only illegal killing method is poison.

He's probably charged the hunters for javelinas which is a game animal, not a pest like the hogs.

Kingfisher":1vr5d8ui said:
Follow the Vultures

I shoot plenty of em kingfisher and don't even get out of the truck to go look at em.
Any gamewarden that would charge a person for wanton waste on a pig outta have to eat one

There is no way that stuck. It's like a told a dps one time, you can write all the tickets you want but that doesn't mean I will have to pay them.

They pay bounties on hogs in a lot of counties and encourage people to whack'em and stack'em. They can't pay on game animals.

Those GWS would get run out of town here.

Latest posts