Theft

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
I have been hearing cattle theft is on the rise but this morning was the first time I have heard about an actual theft for several years. Someone stole 15 heifers about an hour from here. How often do you hear of theft.

I heard a story about a guy have 25 or so weaned calves disappear on a Tuesday night with tire tracks in the pen and gates rearranged. He and his brothers hit the local barn and another about 125 miles away that had sales the next morning. Found them being unloaded at the nearest barn with new ear tags.

The rumored thief was the ne'r-do-well son of a very prominent business/land owner. The rumors around the local restaurant and feed mill say he took the cattle back to the pen from which they were stolen, but was spared the law due to his dad's influence.

If the guy had held on to the calves or only taken a few and not left any signs of theft, they'd have been long gone before anybody thought to look at the sale barn.

Trust your neighbors but brand your cattle. I can't imagine those of you in the east with no registered brands or brand inspection. A thieve could have a field day if they have half a brain and a little preparation.

There has been some very big scale rustling going on in southeast Oregon/northern Nevada. One of the common methods is to herd the cows and calves away from the main herd before branding. Allow the cows to raise the calves to wean. Herd the cows off and they will show up as dry cows. Those unbranded calves are then taken off to another location where they get the rustler's brand.

I had someone unchain my back gate one night, leaving the gate in place and looking locked up but not. I figure it was just one of the neighbors I p****ed off. One of those neighbors is know for tracking down lost livestock and reselling. I've never seen a neighbor so interested in finding someone elses livestock that's gotten out.I'm pretty sure they are also responsible for making off with my duaghters barbados ewe that got out......but no way to prove it

Last I heard about rustling here was about 5 years ago. It was an inside job brought about by a man who was trying to help a doper get on his feet and on the right track. The junky loaded up a trailer and didn't know to lock the hitch. He and the cattle were found the ditch in the next county. He's back in jail now being rehabilitated one more time.

Most people in the east live on smaller farms most under 200 acres.and most live smack dab in the middle of the farm usually there arent many access points to the pastures away from the house . my cattle CAN not be hearded anywhere they will come to the barn to me and me alone. they would have to corraled up and loaded to a truck . most farms around here, it just cant be done without the owner knowing (hearing something or dogs barking). We dont live on 1500 acres where they can be ruslted out....no doubt that it does happen but as easy as u might think its not...branding is not an issue here ....the ONLY time it might could happen on the farms in my area is when the owner is gone for a few days. Still be hard without the niegbors seeing something, remember we live on smaller farms, and usually theres a nieghbor on each side within shouting distance.

Latest posts