hay theft

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
I know someone may have already mentioned this..but folks, espc in my general state and surrounding states..Ive encountered more folks who have had hay stolen recently..lock it up and keep an eye on it!

As with anything, theives are looking for an easy in and out..

most of our hay is locked up.but ppl that want it will do what it takes to get it.

Ours is barn stored, a pain in the butt to get into/out of, near the house, and all inside locked gates. But hay theft is a big deal out this way! And, of course, we're also well armed! (No, I probably wouldn't shoot you for trying to swipe my hay -- but I'll bet I could keep you sitting still on a bale til the law got there!) :)

How are they stealing the hay?? With out a tractor, rolls would be hard to steal I would think.

easy they use bale buggies or the bale spears that are mounted in the truck beds.

bigbull338":3mzy81b0 said:
easy they use bale buggies or the bale spears that are mounted in the truck beds.
That equip. wouldn't help them here. They'd have to move it a bale at a time, by hand or with an elevator, through barn gates and outer gates. There may be something to be said for inconvenience!

Bale spears on the back of trucks seems to be the preferred method around here. Talk to a deputy the other day and any hay moving at night is being stopped and checked out.

A friend told me this story:

The people next to the ranch they buy to hay from had several round bales stolen out of their field. The son thought the Dad was getting senile, but agreed to wait one night. Well he left at 3 am, and the next morning there were a few missing. So, they contacted the sheriffs office. at 3:15 am the next morning they caught a lady using a hay buggy taking hay out of their field. She tried to say that she paid cash for it to someone else and was just picking it up. at 3:15 am? really?

Amazing how man thousands of one ton or 3/4 ton trucks are running around here with hay spears built into the bed...probably takes about 30 seconds to back up to a roll of hay, spear it and be gone. I doubt someone stealing is going to let a fence or a gate slow them down. I'm constantly amazed at how much hay is stacked in rows close to the highway.

Latest posts